1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of Two Wires

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    Two wires carry current I1 = 49 A and I2 = 31 A in the opposite directions parallel to the x-axis at y1 = 7 cm and y2 = 15 cm. Where on the y-axis (in cm) is the magnetic field zero?

I dont even know where to start on this. Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Consider the magnetic field of a wire carrying current:
    where (+) is going into the page, and (.) is coming up out of the page.

(+) (+) (+) (+) (+) (+)
    ------------------------>
    (.) (.) (.) (.) (.) (.)

If you add one going the other direction then:

(+) (+) (+) (+) (+) (+)
    ------------------------>
    (.) (.) (.) (.) (.) (.)

(.) (.) (.) (.) (.) (.)
    <------------------------
    (+) (+) (+) (+) (+) (+)

So in between the fields reinforce. Which means to either side they may cancel somewhere - which is what you want.

With the B field given by B = μo*I/2π*R you need to construct an equation that describes where the fields are equal but opposite.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    Well originally I was thinking μo*I1/2π*R = - μo*I2/2π*R, but I know this is wrong. Then I considered I1/R1 = - I2/R2, but I dont think this is right either....so im still lost

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You need to pick some location call it P outside the 2 wires. It will be a distance of D away from one wire and D + 8 cm away from the other. Now what you need to do is find where the fields are equal.

Use that in your I1/R1 = I2/R2

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    So say I pick P as Y = 17, so that point would be 2cm away from wire 1 and 10 cm away from wire 2...how do I use this information to find where the fields are equal?

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

No, no, no.

Say you pick R1 as D and R2 as 8 cm + D, and then solve for what D is.

8. Feb 20, 2009 #7
    Ok, so I did 49/D = 31/D+8 and solved for D...is this value supposed to be where on the Y axis the magnetic field is zero?

9. Feb 20, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It's not the Y coordinate value. It's the distance from the 49A laden wire. You will have to make a drawing and determine what that y coordinate value would be.

Note: Since you chose D as from the 49 you should expect that the (-) value you get is in the direction of the 31A wire and to the other side of it.

10. Feb 20, 2009 #9
    I finally got it. Thank you so much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook