1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of two wires

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two long thin parallel wires a distance d = 15.3 cm apart carry 25-A currents (I) in the same direction. The magnetic field is measured at point P, a distance d1 = 13.3 cm from the lower wire and a distance d2 = 5.3 cm from the upper wire.

a. Find the x and y components of the magnetic field at P due to the current in the lower wire only.
    HELP: First find the magnitude of the field due to the current in the lower wire.
    HELP: To find the direction of the field, the Law of Cosines will be helpful: for a triangle of sides a, b, and c, the angle θ between sides a and b is given by c2 = a2 + b2 - 2 a b cosθ.

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/Knox/phys130a/spring/homework/13/04/HW14_4.jpg [Broken]
    2. Relevant equations
    c2 = a2 + b2 - 2 a b cosθ.
    Magnitude=[tex]\mu[/tex]0I/2[tex]\pi[/tex]r

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I found the magnitude to be [tex]\mu[/tex]0(25)/2[tex]\pi[/tex](.133)=3.759E-5
    then I use the Law of Cosines to find that theta=19.814
    so then 90-19.814=70.186
    Cos of that= y/3.759e-5
    which gives me y=1.274e-5
    Which is correct.
    However, when I use Sin of 70.186=x/3.759e-5 I get 3.536e-5, but this is not correct. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. :/ I've never quite understand how to tell when you use Sin and Cos for which value anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your work looks pretty good, so I imagine the problem is one of the following:

Wrong number of significant figures in final answer,
    Final answer slightly wrong from roundoff error,
    or
    +/- Sign error in final answer.

In your diagram, have you drawn the direction of B due to the lower wire? That might help clear up whether it's + or -.

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    I didn't even think about the fact that it could be negative. B is going anti-clockwise, so it's negative. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook