Magnetic Field of two wires

In summary, two long thin parallel wires carrying 25-A currents at a distance of 15.3 cm apart have a magnetic field measured at point P, located at a distance of 13.3 cm from the lower wire and 5.3 cm from the upper wire. To find the x and y components of the magnetic field at P due to the lower wire only, the magnitude of the field is first found using the Law of Cosines. The resulting angle is then used to determine the y component, which is correctly calculated as 1.274e-5. However, a mistake in using sine instead of cosine in the calculation for the x component results in an incorrect value of 3.536e-5. The
GDGirl

Homework Statement

Two long thin parallel wires a distance d = 15.3 cm apart carry 25-A currents (I) in the same direction. The magnetic field is measured at point P, a distance d1 = 13.3 cm from the lower wire and a distance d2 = 5.3 cm from the upper wire.

a. Find the x and y components of the magnetic field at P due to the current in the lower wire only.
HELP: First find the magnitude of the field due to the current in the lower wire.
HELP: To find the direction of the field, the Law of Cosines will be helpful: for a triangle of sides a, b, and c, the angle θ between sides a and b is given by c2 = a2 + b2 - 2 a b cosθ.

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/Knox/phys130a/spring/homework/13/04/HW14_4.jpg

Homework Equations

c2 = a2 + b2 - 2 a b cosθ.
Magnitude=[tex]\mu[/tex]0I/2[tex]\pi[/tex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the magnitude to be [tex]\mu[/tex]0(25)/2[tex]\pi[/tex](.133)=3.759E-5
then I use the Law of Cosines to find that theta=19.814
so then 90-19.814=70.186
Cos of that= y/3.759e-5
which gives me y=1.274e-5
Which is correct.
However, when I use Sin of 70.186=x/3.759e-5 I get 3.536e-5, but this is not correct. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. :/ I've never quite understand how to tell when you use Sin and Cos for which value anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks pretty good, so I imagine the problem is one of the following:

Wrong number of significant figures in final answer,
Final answer slightly wrong from roundoff error,
or
+/- Sign error in final answer.

In your diagram, have you drawn the direction of B due to the lower wire? That might help clear up whether it's + or -.

I didn't even think about the fact that it could be negative. B is going anti-clockwise, so it's negative. Thanks!

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It is produced by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons.

How are magnetic fields created by two wires?

When two current-carrying wires are placed parallel to each other, their magnetic fields will interact with each other. This results in a magnetic force between the wires, which can be attractive or repulsive depending on the direction of the currents.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field between two wires?

The strength of the magnetic field between two wires depends on the distance between the wires, the amount of current flowing through each wire, and the direction of the currents. The closer the wires are, and the greater the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

Can the magnetic field between two wires be turned on and off?

Yes, the magnetic field between two wires can be turned on and off by controlling the amount of current flowing through the wires. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field will disappear.

What are some practical applications of the magnetic field between two wires?

The magnetic field between two wires is used in a variety of devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging machines, such as MRI scanners, to produce images of the human body.