Magnetic Field of wire carrying current

In summary: I don't know what else to try.In summary, the magnetic field at the center of the triangle is 4.5uI/(pi*L).
Gear300
A wire carrying a current I is bent into the shape of an equilateral triangle of side L. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the triangle.

Since the vector of the magnetic field in respect to each side of the triangle points in the same direction at the center, I should be able to find the magnetic field generated by one side of the triangle and multiply it by 3. After trying several times, I keep getting
B = 1.5uI/(pi*L), in which u = permeability of of free space...but the actual answer is
B = 4.5uI/(pi*L), which is 3 times greater than my answer. After looking over my work, nothing seems to be wrong...but my answer is down by a factor of 3 from the one I'm supposed to get. What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you are not multiplying it by 3 as you said you would...

Nah...I have...still doesn't come out right. I'm pretty sure I've done things right...maybe the question meant length L rather than side L...with that, I actually get the right answer.

Well.. i tried doing it... For a triangle, you get the perpendicular distance from a side to the centroid to be:

[tex]
\frac{L}{2} \tan{\left(\frac{\pi}{6}\right)}
[/tex]

on using [itex]B = \frac{\mu_o I}{2 \pi r}[/itex]

i'm getting

[tex]
B = \frac{1.724 \mu_o I}{\pi L}
[/tex]

and for three sides I'm getting it as:

[tex]
B = \frac{5.16 \mu_o I}{\pi L}
[/tex]

which is again.. not the right answer?

Last edited:
Hmmm...I suppose it really just might be length L instead of side L...oh well...

Gear300 said:
Hmmm...I suppose it really just might be length L instead of side L...oh well...

are you sure we can approximate the magnetic field using the formula we've used? If not try using the Biot-Savart law and see what comes up.

Thats actually the formula I used...I'm sure I also checked earlier with Ampere's Law...

1. What is a magnetic field of a wire carrying current?

The magnetic field of a wire carrying current refers to the magnetic field that is produced by the flow of electric current through a wire. The field is present in the space surrounding the wire and its strength depends on the amount of current flowing through the wire.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined?

The direction of the magnetic field around a wire carrying current can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field around a wire carrying current is affected by several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire. The closer the wire, the higher the current, and the more conductive the wire material, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

4. How does the shape of the wire affect the magnetic field?

The shape of the wire does not have a significant impact on the strength of the magnetic field. However, the magnetic field will be stronger closer to the wire, so a more tightly coiled wire will have a stronger magnetic field than a straight wire.

5. Can the magnetic field of a wire carrying current be turned off?

Yes, the magnetic field of a wire carrying current can be turned off by simply turning off or reducing the current flow through the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire, so decreasing the current will decrease the strength of the magnetic field.