1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field on an axis

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must calculate the magnetic field for any point [tex]P[/tex] on an axis passing through the middle of a square wire loop (whose radius is [tex]a[/tex] and current is [tex]I[/tex]).
    The situation is such that the square wire is on a plane that is perpendicular to the axis in which I must calculate the magnetic field. If the situation is unclear, please tell it to me so that I scan a sketch of the situation.

2. Relevant equations

Biot-Savart, despite the symmetry, I don't think that Ampère's law can be useful.

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a sketch as follow : a horizontal axis (called x-axis) passing in the center of a square with radius [tex]a[/tex]. I drew the square such that its sides coincide with up-bottom-left-right directions, for the sake of simplicity.
    Let [tex]\theta (x)[/tex] be the angle measured from the point [tex]P[/tex], between the x-axis and the upper side of the square. I have that [tex]\theta (x)= \frac{a}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{x} \Rightarrow \theta = \arctan \left ( \frac{a}{2x} \right )[/tex].
    I've found this angle because I wanted to know the angle within [tex]\vec l[/tex] and [tex]\vec r[/tex] in Biot-Savart law. This is where I'm stuck. Am I in the right direction?

From B-S law : [tex]\vec B =\frac{\mu _0}{4 \pi} I \int d\vec l \times \frac{d \vec r}{r^3}[/tex].

So I wanted to calculate the contribution of each side of the square on the magnetic field situated at point [tex]P[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Consider a current element dl at a distance l from the center of the conductor.
    Can you find the distance r from dl to P?
    If O is the center of the loop, draw a parallel line through O to the upper wire.If A is the position of dl from the center of the wire, Draw AB perpendicular to the parallel line. Now you can find the angle BAP which is needed in Biot-Savart Law

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you for helping!

Hmm, on the axis passing through the center of the loop and by point P?
    I guess yes, but I'm unsure where to place dl.
    Waiting for a little clarification.

Anyway, here comes my sketch, in case of confusion :

Attached Files:

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

dl is a small element of any one wire at a distance l from the center of the wire.

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah then [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+l^2}[/tex] where [tex]x[/tex] is the distance from the center of the conductor (see figure).
    I will try to follow your instructions.

Edit: I reached [tex]\theta= \arccos \left ( \frac{a}{2 \sqrt{x^2+l^2}} \right )[/tex]. Where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle BAP.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. Nov 2, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The distance AP = sqrt[l^2 + x^2 + (a/2)^2]
    And sin( BAP) = l/sqrt[l^2 + x^2 + (a/2)^2]
    Direction of th field is not in the direction of the x-axis. You have to resolve them to get the net field along x-axis.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  8. Nov 2, 2009 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks a lot. I will try to understand my error about the distance AP.

9. Nov 4, 2009 #8

fluidistic

Gold Member

Sorry to bother again, I still don't reach the angle BAP.
    Here's the picture of how I understood how to plot everything. Please tell me if there's a confusion somewhere.
    Which gave me [tex]\sin \theta = \sqrt{r^2- \frac{a^2}{4}} \cdot \frac{1}{r}[/tex] where [tex]r= \sqrt{l^2+x^2}[/tex].
    I don't really know why you've searched for [tex]\sin \theta[/tex] instead of [tex]\cos \theta[/tex] since [tex] \vec l \times \vec r = lr\cos \theta[/tex].
    At last I obtained [tex]B= \frac{\mu _0Ia^2}{8 \pi r^3}[/tex] which I almost know it's wrong. I should probably get something over [tex]r[/tex], not [tex]r^3[/tex].

Attached Files:

10. Nov 4, 2009 #9

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the figure OB = l, OP = x and BP = sqrt(l^2 + x^2)
    BA = a/2. So AP = r = sqrt[l^2 + x^2 + (a/2)^2]
    AXB = ABsinθ.
    Here sinθ = x/r.

11. Nov 4, 2009 #10

fluidistic

Gold Member

I understand all until you wrote "Here sinθ = x/r". So you've considered the angle θ as [tex]OPA[/tex] ? If so then everything's fine.
    I still don't see why I needed [tex]\sin \theta[/tex] instead of [tex]\cos \theta[/tex].

12. Nov 4, 2009 #11

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If A' is the point on the wire vertically above O, to find the field at P, I want the angle A'AP and sine of that angle. To find the field we need the angle between current element I*Δl and r.

13. Nov 4, 2009 #12

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah ok, I think I see a bit better. At least I understand why we search this angle [tex]\theta[/tex], but still not its sine.
    However in this case I have that the distance between A' and P is [tex]\sqrt {\left ( \frac{a^2}{2} \right ) +x^2}[/tex] and not x. Thus [tex]\sin \theta = \sqrt {\left ( \frac{a^2}{2} \right ) +x^2} \cdot \frac{1}{r}= \sqrt {\left ( \frac{a^2}{2} \right ) +x^2} \cdot \sqrt{l^2+x^2}[/tex].

14. Nov 4, 2009 #13

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. Your sinθ is correct. But what is l? dl is a small segment on the wire. So put OA = sqrt(OA'^2 + A'A^2). And write 1/r

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook