Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field on earth?

1. May 29, 2015 #1
    I am a student of science.I know that the compus works for magnetic field on earth.But I don't know the actual cause of this magnetic field.Compus always set in north and south direction. Sometime I thing ,Is there any magnetic hill on north or south poll?Or this is the cause of spin of the earth.

But what is right description of this magnetic field?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The Earth's magnetic field is generated by a dynamo effect in its core/mantle.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo_theory

In physics, the dynamo theory proposes a mechanism by which a celestial body such as Earth or a star generates a magnetic field. The dynamo theory describes the process through which a rotating, convecting, and electrically conducting fluid can maintain a magnetic field over astronomical time scales. A dynamo is thought to be the source of the Earth's magnetic field, as well as the magnetic fields of other planets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook