What is the magnitude of the magnetic field B in an infinite sheet of current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of the magnetic field in a scenario where an infinite sheet of current is perpendicular to the y-axis and located at y=0. By using Ampere's Law and choosing a closed amperian loop with sides of length L and w, it is determined that the magneto motive force is given by 2LB and the current enclosed is \lambda_+_x * L . With the given values of L=0.5 m, w=0.078 m, and \lambda_+_x = 1.89 A/m, the magnitude of the magnetic field B can be calculated by dividing \mu *I by the perimeter of the square formed by the loop
Punchlinegirl
An infinite sheet of current, perpendicular to the y-axis is located at y=0. The linear current density [tex] \lambda_+_x [/tex] flows in the +x direction. By inspection, we expect the magnetic field direction B_y, on the positive y side of the sheet to be in the +z direction while the magnetic field on the negative y side of the sheet to be in the -z direction. We choose the Amperican loop as the dashed line with sides of length L and w. The magneto motive force is given by 2LB and the current enclosed is [tex] \lambda_+_x * L [/tex].
Let L=0.5 m, w=0.078 m, [tex] \lambda_+_x [/tex]= 1.89 A/m. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field B. Answer in units of T.

I really have no idea how to do this problem. Can someone help? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Ampere's Law.
Read the question again. Towards the end of the question, there is a big hint given on what closed loop to take.

Ok so the loop I use has sides L and W.
I know that Ampere's Law says B*ds*cos theta= [tex]\mu[/tex]*I
So to get B I divide [tex] \mu [/tex] *I by 2L+2W since you use the perimeter of the square.
So its (1.25e-6)(0.5)(1.89)/ (2*0.5)+(2*.078)

Am I going about this in the right way?

I advise you start over from the beginning.

Fist, draw the sheet, the current, the field direction above and below, and the closed amperian loop.

Now, when you integrate over the closed loop, you will be able to see what part contributes to the integral and what part doesn't.

1. What is a magnetic field problem?

A magnetic field problem refers to any issue or challenge related to the behavior, effects, or manipulation of magnetic fields. This can include understanding how magnetic fields are created, how they interact with other objects, and how they can be utilized for various purposes.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. This can occur naturally, such as in the Earth's core, or artificially through the use of magnets or electricity. The direction and strength of a magnetic field depend on the direction and velocity of the electric charges producing it.

3. What are the practical applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in electronics, such as in hard drives and speakers, for transportation systems like trains and magnetic levitation (maglev) trains, and in medical equipment like MRI machines. They are also used in generators to produce electricity and in compasses for navigation.

4. How can magnetic fields be manipulated?

Magnetic fields can be manipulated in various ways, such as by changing the strength or direction of an electric current, altering the orientation of magnets, or using materials with different magnetic properties. This manipulation allows for the control and utilization of magnetic fields for different purposes.

5. What is the significance of magnetic fields in our universe?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in our universe and are found throughout the cosmos. They are responsible for shaping the structure and behavior of galaxies, stars, and planets. They also play a role in the formation of auroras, the protection of Earth from harmful solar radiation, and the creation of powerful cosmic phenomena like supernovas and black holes.