1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field Problem

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What are the magnetic field strength and direction at the dot in Figure Ex32.8, in which v = 3.0*10^7 m/s?

Figure Ex.32.8 is attached to the this post.
    r = 0.02828 m
    m0/4pi = 10^-7 T
    v = 3.0*10^7 m/s
    q = 1.60217653*10^-19 C

2. Relevant equations
    Biot-Savart Law (attached), can't really type it...

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok. It's probably a very simple problem and it makes me feel really bad 'cause I can't solve it... I've tried to solve it with the Biot-Savart Law (check attach) with the values I mentioned above

I'm sure I calculated the cross product wrong.. How would I calculate it in this case? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Try writing the vector v and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] in the [itex]\hat{x}, \hat{y}[/itex] form, and then write the cross product.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #3
    First, thanks for replying to my post. Second, here's what I did:
    vector v = 0i + 3.0*10^7j
    [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]=-0.01/0.028i - 0.01/0.028j
    Now, hopefully, that's correct. With that, the only thing left to do is multiply
    m0/4pi * q/r, which is 2.003*10^-23 by [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and then cross
    it with vector v, right?

5. Sep 1, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Your r vector is just -0.02i -0.02j. Other than that everything looks good.

6. Sep 1, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That unit vector should be (approximately): [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]=-0.02/0.028i - 0.02/0.028j
    (Which is consistent with what learningphysics said about the vector r.)

7. Sep 1, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Ah yes... I apologize. you need the unit vector in the r direction, not the r vector itself.

8. Sep 1, 2007 #7
    And when I'm crossing the two, I'll just need to multiply v by r and then by sin 45, right?

9. Sep 1, 2007 #8

learningphysics

Homework Helper

You're crossing v with the unit vector in the r direction... hence it's just v*1*sin45, that gives the magnitude of the cross product.

so the magnitude of [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] x [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is just vsin45, where [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] is a unit vector in the r direction.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?