1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field problem

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    A square conducting loop of side 2a lies in the z=0 plane and carries a current in the counterclockwise direction. Show that at the center of the loop
    H = sqrrt2*I/pi*a in the z direction.

I am stuck in this problem. Heres what Ive got. I placed the center of the loop at the origin. Im using Biot-Savarts Law. I found an R vector to be sqrt x^2 + y2 in the rho direction and cos x/sqrt x^2 + y2 in the phi direction. Heres where Im stuck. When I go to do the integral, my dl depends on the side im integrating. So if im my dl is dx, i dont know how to cross that why R because R has the unit vectors rho and phi.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2
    I didn't quiet understand your approach. Find the magnetic field due to one wire of length 2a at a distance a from it's center. Contribution from each wire is same. So B = 4 * B(A).

| a

From the center of the wire at a distance l choose current element dl.
    Distance between dl and A is r.

Using biot law,

[tex] B(A) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int_{-a}^{a} \frac{I dl X n}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex] B(A) = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi}\int_{-a}^{a} \frac{dl sin \theta}{a^2+l^2}[/tex]

[tex] sin \theta = a / \sqrt (a^2 + l^2)[/tex]

Do the integration.

[tex] B(A) = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi a}* \sqrt 2 [/tex]

[tex] H = 4* H(A) = \frac{I}{\pi a} * \sqrt 2 [/tex]
  4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    where does the sin theta come from in that second step
  5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You only have to do one side because they all add together. Call them sides 1, 2, 3, 4.

[tex]B_1 = \mu_0I \int \frac{d\vec L \times \vec r}{4\pi r^2} = \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi} \int \frac{rdlsin\theta}{r^2}[/tex]

In polar coordinates:

[itex]dL = cos\theta d\theta[/itex]
    [itex]r = a/cos\theta[/itex]

[tex]B_1 = \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi} \int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4} \frac{(a/cos\theta)cos\theta d\theta sin\theta}{(a/cos\theta)^2}[/tex]

[tex]B_1 = \frac{\mu_0I}{4\pi} \int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4} \frac{asin\theta cos^2\theta}{a^2}d\theta [/tex]

Since [itex]B = 4B_1[/itex]:

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0I}{\pi a} \int_{-\pi/4}^{\pi/4} sin\theta cos^2\theta d\theta [/tex]

You have to use some trigonometric identities to integrate that. Better check my math too.

6. Mar 22, 2005 #5
    In my first integral, n is the unit vector along the direction of vector r. [tex]sin \theta [/tex] comes in when you take the cross product of dl X n. [tex]sin \theta [/tex] is the angle between r and dl.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?