1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field problem

1. Apr 5, 2005 #1
    a three phase transmission line consists of three conductors that are supported at points A,B, c to form an equilateral triangle. At one instant, conductors A and B both carry a current of 75A while conductor C carries a return current of 150 A. Find the force per meter on conductor C at that instant.

heres what it looks like

current at A and B is going in, current at C is coming out. Each point is 2 meters apart.

This is the z = 0 plane
    im really stuck on this one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2005 #2
    Where are you stuck, what have you tried?

Spit out some equations you think might fit.
  4. Apr 5, 2005 #3
    the only think i can think of is to find the H field about A and B with rho being equal to the distance to C. than use the int(i*dl cross B). do that at A and B ? i dont see how the 150 amp current causes a force at C.
  5. Apr 5, 2005 #4
    The force on a charge due to magnetic field from each wire will be:

[tex] F = i\int{B\times dl} [/tex]

Now you'll want to find the force for wires A and B at point C. Does the current through C affect the magnetic field? How so?
  6. Apr 5, 2005 #5
    since the current at C is twice at the current at A and B than wouldnt that cancel out the magnetic field?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?