Exploring Magnetic Fields: Is the Plate Affecting My Magnet?

In summary, the speaker was curious about the phenomenon of a neodymium magnet being able to rotate easily when placed on a flat, ferrous metal plate, but becoming harder to rotate when placed on the rounded edge of the plate. They wondered if the magnet was inducing a second magnetic field in the edges of the metal plate. Another person in the conversation explained that when the magnet is placed in the middle of the plate, the field is symmetrical and does not change on rotation, but when placed on the edge of the plate, the magnet self-aligns due to the asymmetry of the nearby metal and rotating it would change the magnetic field and make it harder to rotate.
neodymium
Hello all!, first post here we go!

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me because I can’t find the answer online. Or maybe point me to a magnetic field’s for dummies website..

I’ve been playing with a neodymium magnet shaped like a coin for a few days (yes easily occupied) and I’ve noticed, when I stand the magnet up on its edge, on a flat, ferrous metal plate, I can rotate it quite easily, the plate is about 10mm thick and has smooth rounded edges. When I stand the magnet on the rounded edge of the plate, the N S poles snap, a-posed to the length of material.. (heads N, tails S) and it’s much harder to rotate, why is this? Does the magnet induce a second magnetic field in the edges of the metal plate?

Thanks for taking the time👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
When the magnet is on it's edge, in the middle of the plate, the field is symmetrical. There is no change in field on rotation.
When the magnet is on it's edge, stuck to the edge of the metal sheet, the nearby metal is NOT symmetric so the magnet should self align across the edge. Attempting to rotate the magnet will change the magnetic field to be out of alignment with the edge when the field will be more stretched.

1. How can I tell if my plate is affecting my magnet?

The easiest way to determine if your plate is affecting your magnet is to move the magnet around the plate. If the magnet's behavior changes when it is near or on the plate, then the plate is most likely affecting the magnet.

2. What are some signs that my magnet is being affected by a plate?

Some signs that your magnet is being affected by a plate include changes in the magnet's movement or rotation, changes in the strength of the magnet, or the magnet sticking to the plate in certain areas.

3. Can a plate completely demagnetize a magnet?

No, a plate cannot completely demagnetize a magnet. However, it can weaken the magnet's strength or alter its magnetic field, depending on the type of plate and the strength of the magnet.

4. How does a plate affect a magnet's magnetic field?

A plate can affect a magnet's magnetic field by either shielding it or altering its direction. If the plate is made of a magnetic material, it can also interact with the magnet's magnetic field and change its strength.

5. Is there a way to prevent a plate from affecting my magnet?

Yes, there are a few ways to prevent a plate from affecting your magnet. You can use non-magnetic plates, such as plastic or wood, to avoid any interaction with the magnet's magnetic field. You can also keep a distance between the magnet and the plate to minimize any effects.