Magnetic Field and Wire Rotation: Exploring the Effects on Force and Current

In summary, a long wire with a current of 2.0 A will stay horizontal if it is rotated slightly in the horizontal plane, but the current will rotate with the wire.
EgpYo

Homework Statement

A magnetic field of 1.4 T [N] is 4.0m wide. A very long wire crosses the field. The current in the wire is 2.0 A [W].

What would happen if the wire is rotated slightly in the horizontal plane?

Homework Equations

F = ILBSinx

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what it means by "rotated in the horizontal plane". If it was moved left or right, L would increase because the wire isn't moving straight across the electric field. However, it says the current in the wire is moving West which confuses me.

Is it saying that the wire is lifted to create an angle with the surface it is on?

Physics news on Phys.org
The wire is sitting on a horizontal table, current travels leftward (West), from right (East).
The Magnetic Field points forward along the table (Northward).
In this situation, only 4 meters length of the wire (current) is in the B-field,
so the magnetic Force applied to the current is F = ILxB = ILB sin 90 (downward).

The wire stays horizontal as it rotates, and the current rotates with it
... suppose, to 10deg North of West.

the wire is "very long" ... much longer than 4 m ; is more wire in the B-field now, than was in it before? Is the extra length made up for by sin 10?

Last edited:
Thats all it says. I actually wrote the question wrong, it says:

What will happen to the force on the wire if the wire is rotated slightly in the horizontal plane?

EgpYo said:
A magnetic field of 1.4 T [N] is 4.0m wide. A very long wire crosses the field. The current in the wire is 2.0 A [W].

What would happen if the wire is rotated slightly in the horizontal plane?
Is this the total information you have re this problem? Is it from a textbook?

yes to both

So, if the wire is rotated by 10o , so it doesn't cross "straight West" across the B-field's width,
does the Force increase, decrease, stay the same ... and why? I would stick to Force strength (ie, magnitude)

L increases so the force should increase but it is also not perpendicular to the magnetic field so I don't get it.

IL x B means IL B sin θ ... θ is now 80°, rather than the 90° that it used to be ;
but the length is a *bit* longer (along the trig triangle hypotenuse; 4m is the long leg).

Last edited:

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region around a magnet or electric current where the force of magnetism is exerted on other objects. It is also a fundamental property of moving electric charges.

How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. This can be achieved through the motion of electrons in an electric current or by the alignment of the magnetic domains in a magnet.

What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has two main properties: direction and strength. The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic force on a north pole of a magnet. The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla or gauss.

What are the applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have various applications in our daily lives. They are used in compasses for navigation, MRI machines in medicine, and in generators and motors for electricity production and transportation.

How can I protect myself from magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are present in our environment and are generally not harmful to humans. However, exposure to high levels of magnetic fields can have potential health effects. To protect yourself, you can limit your exposure by maintaining a safe distance from sources of magnetic fields and using shielding materials.