What is the Optimal Wire Spacing for a Strong Magnetic Field in a Solenoid?

In summary, the problem involves using a 12m 0.50mm diameter copper wire and a power supply capable of passing 17A through the wire to find the magnetic field strength inside a 2.0-mm-diameter solenoid with the wire packed as closely as possible. The main obstacle in finding this value is determining the number of turns per unit length, which can be calculated by dividing 1 by the length of wire per turn (0.0005 m). This results in a value of 2000 turns/m.
pat666

Homework Statement

You have 12m of 0.50mm diameter copper wire and a power supply capable of passing 17A through the wire.
What magnetic field strength would you obtain inside a 2.0-mm-diameter solenoid with the wire spaced as closely as possible?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I can't find n - tried about 50 times but its always wrong.
n=12/(pi*0.0205) wrong
n=12/(pi*0.02) wrong
n=0.02pi wrong never thought this was right but I can't think of anything else to do? for a mastering physics online question so no answer yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought the only limitations were the length of the wire and the radius/diametre of the solenoid?
yeah n is turns/length

The turns per unit length tells you how closely you can pack the loops next to each other. The overall length of the wire and the size of the solenoid really have nothing to do with that.

really, so how do I find out n then?

hey, so n will be .0005/something

Almost! You have 0.0005 m per turn, so you have 1 turn per 0.0005 m, which is 2000 turns/m.

Thanks vela! that problem had me screwed.

What is a magnetic field solenoid?

A magnetic field solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that produces a uniform magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

How does a magnetic field solenoid work?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field along the axis of the coil. This magnetic field can be strengthened by increasing the number of turns in the coil or by increasing the current flowing through it.

What are the applications of a magnetic field solenoid?

Magnetic field solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in electromagnets, electric motors, speakers, and particle accelerators.

What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a solenoid is directly proportional to the current flowing through it and the number of turns in the coil. It is also dependent on the material used for the core of the solenoid.

How can a magnetic field solenoid be controlled?

The strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by a solenoid can be controlled by varying the current, number of turns, and core material. Additionally, the orientation of the solenoid can also affect the direction of the magnetic field it produces.