Why does magnetic field strength decrease faster than gravity at a distance?

In summary, the strength of a magnetic field decreases much faster than the inverse square of the distance due to the absence of monopoles and the force law of magnetism being that of a dipole. It is not carried by an "imaginary" particle, but instead by virtual particles. The interaction between magnetic fields and space-time curvature is affected by GR, but has little to do with the original question. The magnetic field from an infinite wire follows an inverse-linear law, similar to the electrostatic field, but with a different constant factor.
Proof.Beh
why does magnetic field strength decrease much faster than the inverse square of the distance like gravity? Is it because the force lines have to curve back to the source? Is magnetism also carried by an "imaginary" particle?

Thanks.
Mr Beh

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first guess is basically correct. In the absence of monopoles the force law of magnetism is (at best) that of a dipole. I have no idea what an "imaginary" particle would mean.

If we test that around of Earth or a larger mass, space-time can help to force lines that curve to other sides according to GR?

I think he means 'virtual partice', like in a Feynman diagram?

Proof.Beh said:
If we test that around of Earth or a larger mass, space-time can help to force lines that curve to other sides according to GR?

What does this have to do with the original question? There is no fundamental difference between electrical and magnetic forces except for the lack of monopoles in the latter case. GR does distort space and certainly affects the solution to EM equations. But has little to do with the original post.

Wait a minute; the magnetic field does obey an inverse square law...

Hurkyl said:
Wait a minute; the magnetic field does obey an inverse square law...

Yes, it does. From a monopole. And from a dipole but you have to sum the inverse squares. Which subtract to give an inverse cube. I hope that is what the poster is referring to.

Hey guys, you didn't answer to elementary question. I am saying, if forces lines curve in a magnetic field then can we say that it is stronger than the strength space-time curvature at curving light around a large mass (for example sun) or not?

Of course I agree with adriansd, but what is it really? Does it identical with 'virtual partice' In a Feynman diagram?

Thanks.
Mr Beh

Dick said:
Yes, it does. From a monopole. And from a dipole but you have to sum the inverse squares. Which subtract to give an inverse cube. I hope that is what the poster is referring to.
I was referring to the fact that the magnetic field generated by a current is proportional to the inverse square of the distance from the source.

Hurkyl said:
I was referring to the fact that the magnetic field generated by a current is proportional to the inverse square of the distance from the source.

Oh yeah, that. But that's a infinite linear source. The E field from an infinite line charge isn't inverse square either (even though the underlying point force law is). It doesn't seem to really matter though since the poster doesn't seem to be able to make a clear statement of what he does mean.

Dick said:
Oh yeah, that. But that's a infinite linear source. The E field from an infinite line charge isn't inverse square either (even though the underlying point force law is). It doesn't seem to really matter though since the poster doesn't seem to be able to make a clear statement of what he does mean.
The magnetostatic field from an infinite wire is inverse-linear, just like the electrostatic field; they're essentially the same calculation! The only difference is that one has [itex]q\hat{r}[/itex] in the numerator, and the other has [itex]\vec{I} \times \hat{r}[/itex]. (And there's probably another constant factor I'm forgetting)

1. What is the reason for the faster decrease of magnetic field strength compared to gravity?

The main reason for this is the difference in the fundamental nature of magnetic and gravitational forces. Gravity is a force that acts between masses and is solely determined by the distance between them. On the other hand, magnetic fields are created by moving charges and the strength of the field depends on the speed and direction of these charges. This leads to a faster decrease in the strength of the magnetic field as the distance increases.

2. How does the rate of decrease in magnetic field strength vary with distance?

The decrease in magnetic field strength follows an inverse square relationship with distance, just like gravity. However, due to the different nature of the forces, the rate of decrease for magnetic fields is much faster.

3. What is the significance of the faster decrease in magnetic field strength?

The faster decrease in magnetic field strength means that magnetic fields have a more localized effect compared to gravity. This is why we often use magnets for specific purposes, such as sticking objects together or navigating using a compass, rather than experiencing a universal pull like with gravity.

4. Can the rate of decrease in magnetic field strength be altered?

Yes, the rate of decrease can be altered by changing the speed and direction of the moving charges that create the magnetic field. This is why we can manipulate magnetic fields using electromagnets or by changing the electrical current in a wire.

5. Does the rate of decrease in magnetic field strength vary for different types of magnets?

Yes, the rate of decrease can vary for different types of magnets based on their strength and design. For example, a permanent magnet will have a more gradual decrease in field strength compared to an electromagnet that can be turned on and off, allowing for more control over the rate of decrease.