1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field Strength

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A magnetron is a microwave source in which a "bunch" of electrons travel on a circular orbit in a uniform magnetic field. As the electrons pass the electrodes, a high-frequency alternating voltage difference occurs. Suppose the resonant frequency is f = 2.82×10^10 s-1; that is, the electron period of revolution is T = 3.55×10^-11 s. What is the corresponding strength of the magnetic field?
    The electron charge is -1.6E-19 C and the electron mass is 9.1E-31 kg.

2. Relevant equations

f=qv * b
    where q is the charge, v is the velocity, and b is the magnetic field

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to set a centripetal force equal to the magnetic force. The only equation I know for centripetal force is f=m(v^2 / r) and I'm not sure how to solve that with the period. I'm really just not sure if I'm even going about this right or how I can solve for v and r. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are only missing one equation (which is quite simple). Consider a particel going in a circle of radius r. If it takes a time T to go around once, what is the speed of the particle?
  4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?