1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field torque

1. Jun 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a coil 2 cm in diameter has 300 turns. what is the maximum torque on this coil when it carries a current of 10mA and is placed ina constant magnetic field of 0.05 Teslas?

2. Relevant equations

magnetic force on a current F = IL X B where X indicates cross product, I is current, L is length of coil, B is magnetic field

torque tau = rFsin(theta) where r is radius, F is magnetic force on current

3. The attempt at a solution

basically subbed in IL X B for F in rFsin(theta)
    and since r is radius, it is two times the diameter, 2*0.02 meters

so torque tau = (2*0.02)[(10*10^-3)(300)(0.05)sin(90)]sin(90) = 0.06 N/m

and since we won't max torque, force must be applied perpendicular, thus theta = 90 degrees.

i am unsure of the length L though, the problem states diameter is 2cm and contains 300 turns, how much is 300 turns in meters?

is my approach correct, though?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's really quite a lot of errors in there. To start with radius isn't 2*diameter. You're also using inappropriate formulas all over the place. What you want to find the force is the magnetic moment of the coil cross the applied field. What's a formula for the magnetic moment of a coil? You certainly can't convert 300 turns to meters, come on. You can use it to find the total current circulating. Start all over again with a clear head, ok?
  4. Jun 20, 2008 #3
    i agree, it did seem a little too straightforward with my initial approach

magnetic dipole moment, mu = NIA where N is number of turns in coil, I is current, A is area( is it area of wire it self(a circle; A = pi(r^2) ?) --> I = 10*10^-3 ampere, N = 300, A = pi(r^2) = pi((2*0.02)^2) = 0.005 m^2

and torque, tau = mu X B where B is magnetic field = 0.05Teslas

once i determine area A, and then mu, will i then find torque?

so tau = mu X B = mu(B)sin(theta) = NIABsin(theta) = ((300)(10*10^-3)(0.005)(0.05))sin(theta) where theta = 90 degrees
    ---> ((300)(10*10^-3)(0.005)(0.05))sin(90) = 7.5*10^-4 N/m

correct now? not too sure about area, A though.
  5. Jun 20, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making progress. Sure, area=pi*r^2. But you still have that weird radius=2*diameter thing going on. Can you do something about that? It's not right, is it? Yes, I think the question means you to take the coil to be a circle. Otherwise, they wouldn't give a 'diameter' right?
  6. Jun 20, 2008 #5
    oh oh oh, i was getting confused with diameter and radius, diameter = 2 * radius, not the other other way round, so radius r = diameter/2 = 0.02/2 = 0.01 m

in that case

tau = mu X B = mu(B)sin(theta) = NIABsin(theta) = ((300)(10*10^-3)(3.14*10^-4)(0.05))sin(90) = 4.71*10^-5 newton meters
  7. Jun 20, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have all of the right numbers in the right place then it should be good. Your formula is correct. Do I have to check your math, or do you trust yourself? Say, 'yes, I trust myself'.
  8. Jun 20, 2008 #7
    yes, I trust myself, was mainly curious about the equation, but thanks for your help again, i need to learn to use the information given, properly
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?