What is the Maximum Torque on a Coil in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum torque on a coil with a diameter of 2 cm and 300 turns, carrying a current of 10mA and placed in a constant magnetic field of 0.05 Teslas. The correct formula for finding the torque is determined to be tau = mu X B, where mu is the magnetic moment of the coil, B is the magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the two. The correct value for the radius is determined to be 0.01 meters, and the final calculated torque is 4.71*10^-5 Newton meters.
scholio

Homework Statement

a coil 2 cm in diameter has 300 turns. what is the maximum torque on this coil when it carries a current of 10mA and is placed ina constant magnetic field of 0.05 Teslas?

Homework Equations

magnetic force on a current F = IL X B where X indicates cross product, I is current, L is length of coil, B is magnetic field

torque tau = rFsin(theta) where r is radius, F is magnetic force on current

The Attempt at a Solution

basically subbed in IL X B for F in rFsin(theta)
and since r is radius, it is two times the diameter, 2*0.02 meters

so torque tau = (2*0.02)[(10*10^-3)(300)(0.05)sin(90)]sin(90) = 0.06 N/m

and since we won't max torque, force must be applied perpendicular, thus theta = 90 degrees.

i am unsure of the length L though, the problem states diameter is 2cm and contains 300 turns, how much is 300 turns in meters?

is my approach correct, though?

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
There's really quite a lot of errors in there. To start with radius isn't 2*diameter. You're also using inappropriate formulas all over the place. What you want to find the force is the magnetic moment of the coil cross the applied field. What's a formula for the magnetic moment of a coil? You certainly can't convert 300 turns to meters, come on. You can use it to find the total current circulating. Start all over again with a clear head, ok?

i agree, it did seem a little too straightforward with my initial approach

magnetic dipole moment, mu = NIA where N is number of turns in coil, I is current, A is area( is it area of wire it self(a circle; A = pi(r^2) ?) --> I = 10*10^-3 ampere, N = 300, A = pi(r^2) = pi((2*0.02)^2) = 0.005 m^2

and torque, tau = mu X B where B is magnetic field = 0.05Teslas

once i determine area A, and then mu, will i then find torque?

so tau = mu X B = mu(B)sin(theta) = NIABsin(theta) = ((300)(10*10^-3)(0.005)(0.05))sin(theta) where theta = 90 degrees
---> ((300)(10*10^-3)(0.005)(0.05))sin(90) = 7.5*10^-4 N/m

correct now? not too sure about area, A though.

You are making progress. Sure, area=pi*r^2. But you still have that weird radius=2*diameter thing going on. Can you do something about that? It's not right, is it? Yes, I think the question means you to take the coil to be a circle. Otherwise, they wouldn't give a 'diameter' right?

oh oh oh, i was getting confused with diameter and radius, diameter = 2 * radius, not the other other way round, so radius r = diameter/2 = 0.02/2 = 0.01 m

in that case

tau = mu X B = mu(B)sin(theta) = NIABsin(theta) = ((300)(10*10^-3)(3.14*10^-4)(0.05))sin(90) = 4.71*10^-5 Newton meters

If you have all of the right numbers in the right place then it should be good. Your formula is correct. Do I have to check your math, or do you trust yourself? Say, 'yes, I trust myself'.

yes, I trust myself, was mainly curious about the equation, but thanks for your help again, i need to learn to use the information given, properly

1. What is magnetic field torque?

Magnetic field torque is a force that acts on a magnet or a magnetic object in a magnetic field, causing it to rotate or spin.

2. What causes magnetic field torque?

Magnetic field torque is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of an object. This interaction creates a force that causes the object to rotate.

3. How is magnetic field torque measured?

Magnetic field torque can be measured using a device called a torque meter, which measures the twisting force applied to an object. The torque meter is placed between the object and the magnetic field, and the amount of torque can be read from the device.

4. What are the applications of magnetic field torque?

Magnetic field torque has various applications in different fields, such as in motors and generators, where it is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also used in compasses, magnetic levitation trains, and MRI machines.

5. How can magnetic field torque be controlled?

Magnetic field torque can be controlled by adjusting the strength or direction of the magnetic field, or by changing the position or orientation of the object in the magnetic field. It can also be controlled by using materials with different magnetic properties or by using electromagnets to generate the magnetic field.