Magnetic field using the Biot-Savart Law

In summary, the magnitude of the magnetic field due to a small current element at the origin with length of 2.0mm and current of 2.0A in the +z direction at the point (0,3.0m,4.0m) is -9.6pT in the +i direction. The Biot-Savart Law was used to calculate this value, but the method used may not be correct. The value of r used in the calculation may be incorrect as it should be 5 instead of 0.05. Additionally, the angle between dl and r hat may need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.
w3390

Homework Statement

A small current element at the origin has a length of 2.0mm and carries a current of 2.0A in the +z direction. Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field due to this current element at the point (0,3.0m,4.0m).

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law: dB=(mu/4pi)(Idl cross r(hat))/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attemped the problem by integrating the biot-savart law holding everything constant except for dl. However, this does not give me the correct answer, which by the way is -9.6pT in the +i direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show more detail of what you've done. It is impossible to guess what you did and where you went wrong.

I can't really show more work because I thought I only had to do a simple integration holding everything constant except for dl. But, I know that dl cross r hat will be in the negative i hat direction. In my equation, I am using 4pi*10^-7 for mu, 2A for I, .002m for l, and .05 for r. Do I need to take into account the dependence r has on the segment dl?

Do I need to take into account the dependence r has on the segment dl?

I don't think so in this case since the length of the current element is so small compared with the distance to your point of interest (although normally you would consider it). You could always try it both ways. Maybe your teacher wants you to do it the more rigorous way, though.

You have r=0.05, is that not supposed to be 5?

I think one thing you are missing is that there is an angle between dl and r hat (think cross product).

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire or a moving charged particle. It is similar to Coulomb's Law for electric fields.

2. How is the Biot-Savart Law used to calculate magnetic fields?

The Biot-Savart Law states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current-carrying wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point. It also depends on a constant known as the permeability of free space.

3. What is the equation for the Biot-Savart Law?

The equation for the Biot-Savart Law is B = (μ0/4π) * (I * dl x r)/r^3, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the length of the current-carrying wire, r is the distance from the wire to the point, and x represents the cross product operation.

4. Is the Biot-Savart Law only applicable to straight wires?

No, the Biot-Savart Law can also be used to calculate the magnetic field of a curved wire or a current-carrying loop. In these cases, the equation becomes more complex and may require integration.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is used in various fields such as electromagnetics, electrical engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the magnetic field of a solenoid, a coil of wire used in electric motors and generators. It is also used in the design of magnetic sensors, magnetic levitation systems, and MRI machines.