1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field work

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conductor that is 2 m long and is caring a current of 3 A is placed parallel to the zaxis at a distance ρ0= 10 cm as shown in Figure 2. If the magnetic field in the region is cos(ϕ/3)Up Wb/m^2, how much work is required to rotate the conductor one revolution about the z-axis?

2. Relevant equations
    W=Fd
    torque=m x B where m=magnetic moment
    m=IS

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I tried formula for surface area of an elliptical cylinder pi(Major radius)(minor radius) which is S but I dont have B. am I going about it wrong? Anyways once I did this I was planning on multiplying it by the current given. And then multiply that by the length of cylinder 2m which will give me the torque force which I can then find the for d=distance traveled in one revolution and multiplt that by the torque to give me work.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2013 #2
    Is this a bad question?

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, what does "cos(phi/3)Up mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted