How do electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of an electron?

In summary, An electron with a velocity of (2*10^6 m/s) i is injected into a region with parallel electric field E=(1500V/m)j and magnetic field B=(-.2T)j. The subsequent motion is circular and the radius can be calculated using R =m*v/(q*B). The Lorentz force can be used with Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.
brad sue
Hi, I have this problem and I need some explanation and help to solve it:

An electron is injected at t=0sec with a velocity of vo =(2*10^6 m/s) i into a region with parallel electric field E=(1500V/m)j and B=(-.2T)j,respectively.
Calculate the subsequent motion.

What I did is that I know that the motion will be a circular one.
then I computed R =m*v/(q*B)
Can I compute R this way since we have electric and magnetic fields together??

Also How can I find the acceleration? when I do V2/R I don't get the right answer at the back of the textbook.

Thank you
B

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there's an electric field, the magnitude of it's velocity increases, so the radii will chage. You can plug the Lorentz force into Newton's 2nd law.

obby

The presence of both electric and magnetic fields will indeed affect the motion of the electron. This is because charged particles, such as electrons, experience a force when they are in the presence of an electric or magnetic field. This force can cause the electron to accelerate or change direction.

In this scenario, the electron is injected with a velocity of 2*10^6 m/s in the direction of the electric field (j direction) and is also subject to a magnetic field in the same direction (j direction). This means that the electron will experience a force in both the electric and magnetic fields.

To calculate the subsequent motion, you can use the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field is given by F = q(E + v x B). In this case, the force will be in the negative k direction (opposite to the direction of the electric and magnetic fields).

To find the acceleration, you can use the equation a = F/m, where m is the mass of the electron. This will give you the acceleration in the negative k direction.

To find the radius of the circular motion, you can use the equation R = mv/(qB), where m is the mass of the electron, v is the velocity, q is the charge of the electron, and B is the magnetic field strength. This equation is valid for charged particles moving in a magnetic field, regardless of the presence of an electric field.

It is important to note that the velocity and acceleration of the electron will change as it moves in the electric and magnetic fields. The initial velocity of 2*10^6 m/s will decrease due to the electric field, and the acceleration will also decrease as the electron's velocity increases.

I hope this helps to clarify how the electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of an electron and how you can calculate its subsequent motion. If you are still having trouble finding the correct answer, I suggest double-checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

Magnetic fields are measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What materials can be affected by a magnetic field?

Most materials are affected by a magnetic field to some degree, but only certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, can be magnetized and have a strong response to magnetic fields.

4. How is a magnetic field created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. This can occur naturally, such as in the Earth's core where the movement of molten iron creates a magnetic field, or artificially through the use of electric currents or magnets.

5. What are the practical applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of practical applications, including in compasses for navigation, electric generators, MRI machines for medical imaging, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in everyday items such as speakers, credit cards, and computer hard drives.