1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    iv)The magnetic field, B at the center of a circular current loop of radius r carrying current I, is given by the expression . If one of the long straight wires is bent 90o in a circular arc of radius r (refer to Figure B1). What is the magnetic field at the center of the arc P?

Can anyone help me? Help needed.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Please show what you've tried.

Use the Biot-Savart law.
  4. May 9, 2006 #3
    What i know is for the arc section, the magnetic field should be (miu)I / 2r and for the straight wire is (miu)I / 2(pie)r. I dont know how to start this question. Should I just sum up both magnetic field?
  5. May 9, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Using the superposition principle, yes you may add them together. The [tex]\frac{\mu I}{2r}[/tex] seems to be the magnetic field generated by a whole circle. Thus the field generated by the arc in the picture is [tex]\frac{1}{4}\frac{\mu I}{2r}[/tex].

EDIT: Replied the same minute :smile:.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?