1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello: I have the following:
    The component of the magnetic field parallel to a plane of sheet is the same magnitude on both sides, but changed direction by [tex]\frac{1}{2}\pi[/tex] in going through the sheet.

I am supposed to explain what is going on. So B were to change direction, does that mean that the current is flowing along the z axis? (because B is always perpendicular to the direction of I)?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume the sheet is in the plane of your computer screen. What is the direction of the z-axis relative to this plane?

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3
    if the sheet were the computer screen, then z would be into the page if the current were flowing to the left. I was thinking if the sheet were along the y-z plane, and the current were flowing along the y direction, then z would be pointing upwards. Does this mean that we have another field nearby that is changing its direction as it goes through the sheet? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook