Solving for $\vec{\upsilon}$ from Diagrams: A Guide

• Thread starter howt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with calculating a value for B using two different formulas. The original poster provides a diagram and equations, and then explains their attempted solution. They mention that their answer was incorrect and ask for help.
howt

Homework Statement

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2178/9b26f2dd8dd8a8686c9c8c2.th.png [Broken]

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{\upsilon}= \vec{\Delta} V / ( B d)[/itex]

[itex]\vec{\upsilon}= u E[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

from the diagram , we have [itex]\vec{\upsilon} = 1.25*10^-5 V/(B)(0.001m)[/itex]

using the second formula ( 1.25*10^-5 )V/(B)(0.001m) = 3.5*10^-5 (240V)(0.12m)

in which I got B = 1.7857*10^-7, which is wrong...
why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much for info, I was wondering why no1 bother to reply...
The link somehow manage to show a picture on my computer.

Well, the question have been solved by my friend. It is no longer a problem.
Thank you again for telling me though

1. How do I solve for velocity from diagrams?

To solve for velocity from diagrams, you will need to use the equations of motion and the information given in the diagram. You can use vector addition and trigonometry to determine the magnitude and direction of the velocity.

2. What are some common diagrams used to solve for velocity?

Some common diagrams used to solve for velocity include free body diagrams, displacement-time graphs, and velocity-time graphs. These diagrams provide information about the motion of an object and can be used to determine the velocity.

3. Can I solve for velocity without using diagrams?

Yes, you can solve for velocity without using diagrams. This can be done by using kinematic equations and known values such as initial and final positions, acceleration, and time. However, diagrams can provide a visual representation of the motion and make it easier to understand and solve for velocity.

4. Are there any special cases when solving for velocity from diagrams?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving for velocity from diagrams. One example is when an object is moving with constant velocity, in which case the velocity will remain the same throughout the motion. Another example is when an object is moving in a circular path, where the velocity can be found using the equation v = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity and r is the radius of the circle.

5. Can I use diagrams to solve for velocity in any type of motion?

Yes, diagrams can be used to solve for velocity in various types of motion, including linear, projectile, and circular motion. However, the type of diagram and equations used may differ depending on the type of motion being analyzed.