1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    Here is an excerpt from a book: Notice also how the charged particle is captured by the magnetic field, just drifting along the field direction. In my book, the field direction is in the y-direction, but the in addition to the particle having an initial y velocity, it had an initial z velocity as well. So it seems to me that the particle is drifting not in the direction of the field, but traveling in yz space. Am I understanding this right? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2
    What the author is talking about is probably the fact that *averaging* the particles position over its cyclotron period (m/qB), it really has not changed it's xz position even though it has xz velocity. However, it may have been displaced along the y direction (field line), depending on its velocity in the y direction.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    I understand now, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook