The Power of Magnetism: Examining Magnetic Field Uniformity

In summary, the magnetic field created by a magnet is not equally powerful across the entire surface area of the pole. This is due to fringing at the end of the magnet, causing the field to be slightly weaker toward the outer edges of the face. This can be compared to the electric field weakening toward the edges of a capacitor.
RoscoeSlash
Is the magnetic field created by a magnet equally powerful across the entire surface area of the pole?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the context of your question? What are your thoughts on how to answer this question? Is this for schoolwork?

No particular context, just curious. I am not sure about the answer which is why i asked Mr. Berkeman. I believe the magnetic field is equally powerful across the entire surface area of the magnet.

RoscoeSlash said:
No particular context, just curious. I am not sure about the answer which is why i asked Mr. Berkeman. I believe the magnetic field is equally powerful across the entire surface area of the magnet.

now you have changed you thoughts ...

in your OP you said the poles, now you are saying the entire magnet

have you seen diagrams of magnetic fields around say a bar magnet ?
where do you see the field lines concentrating ?

Dave

Ok, so if i understand you correctly, the poles are always strongest at the ends of the magnet, as seen in mag field diagrams, any explanation for this? Thanks -Roscoe

RoscoeSlash said:
Is the magnetic field created by a magnet equally powerful across the entire surface area of the pole?
No. Because of fringing at the end of the magnetic, the magnetic field is slightly weaker toward the outer edges of the face. This is a little like the electric field getting weaker toward the edges of a capacitor.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or electrically charged object and exerts a force on other magnets or electrically charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within a magnet or electrically charged object. This movement creates a magnetic field that extends from the object.

3. What is magnetic field uniformity?

Magnetic field uniformity refers to the consistency of the strength and direction of a magnetic field throughout a given space. In other words, a uniform magnetic field has the same strength and direction at all points within its range.

4. Why is examining magnetic field uniformity important?

Examining magnetic field uniformity is important because it allows scientists to understand how magnetic fields behave and how they can be used in various applications. It also helps to identify any areas of non-uniformity, which can affect the performance of magnetic devices.

5. How is magnetic field uniformity measured?

Magnetic field uniformity is typically measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that can detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field at a specific point. Other methods include mapping the field using specialized sensors or calculating the field using mathematical equations.