Magnetic Field

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is the magnetic field created by a magnet equally powerful across the entire surface area of the pole?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
What is the context of your question? What are your thoughts on how to answer this question? Is this for schoolwork?

No particular context, just curious. I am not sure about the answer which is why i asked Mr. Berkeman. I believe the magnetic field is equally powerful across the entire surface area of the magnet.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
No particular context, just curious. I am not sure about the answer which is why i asked Mr. Berkeman. I believe the magnetic field is equally powerful across the entire surface area of the magnet.
now you have changed you thoughts ....

in your OP you said the poles, now you are saying the entire magnet

have you seen diagrams of magnetic fields around say a bar magnet ?
where do you see the field lines concentrating ?

Dave

Ok, so if i understand you correctly, the poles are always strongest at the ends of the magnet, as seen in mag field diagrams, any explanation for this? Thanks -Roscoe

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is the magnetic field created by a magnet equally powerful across the entire surface area of the pole?
No. Because of fringing at the end of the magnetic, the magnetic field is slightly weaker toward the outer edges of the face. This is a little like the electric field getting weaker toward the edges of a capacitor.