Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    Is the magnetic field created by a magnet equally powerful across the entire surface area of the pole?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the context of your question? What are your thoughts on how to answer this question? Is this for schoolwork?

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3
    No particular context, just curious. I am not sure about the answer which is why i asked Mr. Berkeman. I believe the magnetic field is equally powerful across the entire surface area of the magnet.

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

now you have changed you thoughts ....

in your OP you said the poles, now you are saying the entire magnet

have you seen diagrams of magnetic fields around say a bar magnet ?
    where do you see the field lines concentrating ?

Dave

6. Sep 29, 2014 #5
    Ok, so if i understand you correctly, the poles are always strongest at the ends of the magnet, as seen in mag field diagrams, any explanation for this? Thanks -Roscoe

7. Sep 30, 2014 #6

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Because of fringing at the end of the magnetic, the magnetic field is slightly weaker toward the outer edges of the face. This is a little like the electric field getting weaker toward the edges of a capacitor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook