Calculating Momentum & Angular Momentum in a Magnetic Field

In summary, a particle with charge 4.5E-19 C is moving in a circular orbit with radius .465 m due to a magnetic field with magnitude 1.7 T. To find the magnitude of the momentum p, the equation R=(mv)/(qB) was used and mv (linear momentum) was calculated to be 3.6E-19 kg*m/s. However, for the magnitude of the angular momentum L, the equation v/R = qB/m cannot be used as the velocity and mass are not known independently, only their product (mv) is known. Therefore, it is not possible to calculate the angular momentum without further information.
eku_girl83
Here's my problem:

A particle with charge 4.5E-19 C travels in a circular orbit with radius .465 m due to the force exerted on it by a magnetic field with magnitude 1.7 T and perpendicular to the orbit.

a) What is the magnitude of the momentum p of the particle?
I used the equation R=(mv)/(qB) and calculated mv (linear momentum) to be 3.6E-19 kg*m/s.

b) What is the magnitude of the angular momentum L of the particle?
Herein lies the rub! Angular momentum = v/R = qB/m
I don't know velocity or mass independently, only their product (mv). So how do I calculate angular momentum?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Double-posting is annoying.

Angular momentum of a particle moving in a circular motion about the centre is : mvr = pR

a) Only God knows

b) The hell would I know

1. What is momentum in relation to a magnetic field?

Momentum in a magnetic field refers to the amount of motion or kinetic energy that a charged particle possesses as it interacts with the magnetic field.

2. How is momentum calculated in a magnetic field?

Momentum in a magnetic field is calculated using the formula p = m*v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is angular momentum and how is it related to a magnetic field?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion or spin of a charged particle in a magnetic field. It is related to the magnetic field through the formula L = m*r*v, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and v is the tangential velocity.

4. How is angular momentum calculated in a magnetic field?

Angular momentum in a magnetic field is calculated using the formula L = m*r*v, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and v is the tangential velocity.

5. What is the unit of measurement for momentum and angular momentum in a magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for both momentum and angular momentum in a magnetic field is kilogram-meter per second (kg*m/s).