1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic fields and a stream of protons

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    I have tried everything to solve this problem, and I just cannot come to a conclusion. If anyone finds it comes easy to them, help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Here goes:
    A straight stream of protons passes a given point in space at a rate of 1.5x10^9 protons/s. What magnetic field do they produce 2.0m from the beam?

Thanks so much!! :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are some of the things you've tried ?

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    Ok, so I am not sure if this is right, but 1.5x10^9 is also the current, I. So the other variables that are given are r and the permeability of free space constant, 4(pie)x10^-7. So I plugged all that into the equation for B, the magnetic field, which is
    (perm. constant)xI/2(pie)r

5. Mar 14, 2005 #4
    This is not the current. This is the number of proton crossing this point per second. Use the fact that I = dQ/dt to find the current. Here Q is the total charge that cross this particular point.

6. Mar 14, 2005 #5
    Thanks, that's what I did. I multiplied the total charge of a proton by the number of those crossing that point per second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?