Magnetic fields and Circular Orbits Question

In summary: They are used in MRI because they create a very strong magnetic field and can be used to retrieve images. In summary, the magnetic field is the force that holds the electron in its orbit.
Sam_The_Great
Hi, does anybody know what approach to take with the following problem.

An electron is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 500V, then injected into a uniform magnetic field. Once in the magnetic field, it completes half a revolution in 2 ns. What is the radius of the orbit? And what is the magnetic field?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to know several things. First, how fast is that electron going when it enters the magnetic field? (Think potential energy changing to kinetic: [itex]q\Delta V = 1/2 mv^2[/itex].) Then you'll need to combine your knowledge of the magnetic force on a moving charge (F = qvB, assuming the field is perpendicular to the velocity) and centripetal force ([itex]F = mv^2/r = m\omega^2 r[/itex]). Good luck!

Thanks you, I think I got the right answer, my magnetic field is just a little huge, like 16.4 T which just doesn't seem right, but I took the approach you put and also since T = 2pir/v and we know how long it took to complete half a revolution, I solved it. Thanks again Doc.

The question may have been designed to test your ability to integrate circular motion, work and energy and electrodynamics. So the large answer may not be a major factor...

Cheers
Vivek

Thanks for the assurance vivek. Did I need to integrate? I found the radius from the amount of time it took to complete half a circle. I found the velocity from change in voltage(charge) = 1/2 mv^2. and then I found the mag field from r =vm/qB. That's the correct approach to take right?

Thanks.

Did I need to integrate?

Integration wasn't involved in the problem. I think he meant it in a literal rather than mathematical sense.

Yeah,

I meant integration of various topics/ideas of physics...as Gza understood correctly :smile:

Cheers
Vivek

16T magnets are quite common...why we have a couple in my lab.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force due to its motion.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, such as in an electric current or the movement of electrons in an atom.

3. How do magnetic fields affect circular orbits?

Magnetic fields can affect circular orbits by exerting a force on the charged particles in the orbit. This force can cause the orbit to change shape or speed up/slow down.

4. Can a magnetic field change the direction of a circular orbit?

Yes, a magnetic field can change the direction of a circular orbit by exerting a force on the charged particles in the orbit, causing them to change direction.

5. How do magnetic fields play a role in the stability of a circular orbit?

Magnetic fields can play a role in the stability of a circular orbit by providing a force that counteracts any external forces, such as gravitational forces, that may cause the orbit to become unstable.