1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields and Forces

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two straight wire are suspended from the ceiling by strings length of 0.75m.
    each wire has a mass of 45g and a length of 1m
    When identical current flows in opposite directions, the angle between the string is 12°.

2. Relevant equations
    Fg=mg
    B=μI/2πR
    F=LIBsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the looks of it, I assumed that this was an equilibrium question meaning that the force of (BIL) is the same on both wires, working in opposite directions to create an angle of 12°.
    I also assumed that the force of gravity (.441) is equal to the Y component of the string, so then i used trig to solve for the force of the X component which i found to be .0464.

The force of the X component is the same force as the (BIL) and in order for the forces to be the same, the magnetic field and current has to be the same.

so then i combined B=μI/2πR with F=LIBsin(theta) in order to cancel out the magnetic Field since it did not matter.

I got F= LμI2/2πR

I figured out the current to be 131.9

I would attach a picture of my work but i don't have 10 post..
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/photo20120607121104pm.jpg/
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted