Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic fields and inter stella medium

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Can anyone point me to some reference as to how magnetic fields are
    produced in the inter stella medium please.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know much about the subject myself, but I suggest either "Physical Processes of the Interstellar Medium" by Lyman Spitzer (only small parts about magnetic fields) or "Plasma Physics for Astrophysics" by Russel Kulsrud.

4. Apr 4, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Space tiger, i think this is a under rated topic, and think it needs
    more understanding, if any one has a deep understanding on this, i would
    be greatful to hear from them.

5. Apr 4, 2005 #4

Labguy

Science Advisor

6. Apr 5, 2005 #5

hellfire

Science Advisor

As far as I know there are two possibilites, and probably a combination of both leads to the generation of magnetic fields in galaxies. The first one assumes that the origin of galatic magnetic fields are primordial magnetic fields in the universe before galaxy formation. The collapse and compression of baryons would have compressed the line fields also, increasing the field strength (it is assumed that the field lines are ‘frozen’ and bound to the barionic gas). The second one is the theory of the galactic dynamo and assumes that the magnetic fields are generated due to turbulent motions which amplify in a preferred direction. As far as I know the first option alone leads to magnetic fields which are too strong compared with observations, and the second option alone leads to magnetic fields which are too weak in newborn galaxies, compared with observations.

7. Apr 5, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Lab guy, lots of lovely reading, should keep me busy for a while.
    thanks also Hellfire.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?