1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields and Resistance

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.60-N metal bar, 1.50 m long and having a resistance of 10.0 ohms, rests horizontally on conducting wires connecting it to the circuit shown in the figure . The bar is in a uniform, horizontal, 1.60-T magnetic field and is not attached to the wires in the circuit.

What is the acceleration of the bar just after the switch S is closed?
    http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1266176/3/27.74.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    Fbar=ILB
    Fgravity=mg
    Rseries=sum of R
    Rparallel=(1/R)^-1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the resistance of the parallel resistors(the bar and the 10ohm resistor) to be 5ohms
    Then the Req=5ohms+25ohms=30ohms

Use that and the given voltage to find I.
    I=4A

Use I to find Voltage of the bar.
    V=20V

And then we can find I using the voltage(20V) and resistance of bar.

I=2A

F=Fbar-Fgravity
    ma=ILB-mg

I get a=8.29 m*s^-2 but Mastering Physics says it's wrong. Where have I gone wrong?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi kimberlyann9, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Question: Why do you subtract the force due to gravity here? The bar is resting horizontally on the wire "rails", so it's supported. What is the direction of the force on the bar due to the magnetic field?

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
    The diagram shows a VERTICAL magnetic field, not a horizontal field. This could be why you think you need to subtract mg.
    Also did you notice the WEIGHT of the bar (2.60N) is given, you will need mass to use in the F =ma equation

5. Mar 26, 2012 #4
    Thanks guys I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook