1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic fields and wire

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

Part (a)
    Find the magnetic field above and below an infinite current sheet (infinite straight wires with current I along the positive z-axis). The sheet is on the xz plane. There are N wires per meter counting along the axis.

Part (b)
    There are two parallel sheets with the same givens as part (a) except that the second sheet is separated by a distance d above the first. The sheet above carries current I along the positive z-axis. Find the magnetic field above, between, and below the sheets.

Ampere's Law:
    Integral of (gradient cross B) times dA=Integral of B times dl
    with B=magentic field
    A=area
    l=length

3. I'm having more trouble with part (b) than I did with part (a).
    This is how I went about solving part (a). I'm not sure if it's completely right or not though.

I drew a rectangular loop parallel to the xy plane extended an equal distance above and below the surface. I then used ampere's law...
    Integral (B times dl) = 2Bl
    It is 2Bl because one is from the top segment and one from the bottom.
    2Bl=(mu sub 0)(I enclosed)(l)
    where I is the current and l is the length and mu is the permeability of free space

Setting 2Bl = 0(I enclosed l)
    B=+ (mu sub 0/2)I in the x direction (when y<0)
    B= - (mu sub 0/2)I in the x direction (when y>0)

If anybody has any ideas to solve part (b) or any corrections to my part (a) solution, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

(a)

This should be
    2BL=(mu0)(I enclosed)

That is, no "L" at the far right. And I've switched to uppercase L to avoid confusing it with current I.

Then it's a matter of figuring out (I enclosed):
    Each wire has a current I.
    There are N wires per unit length along x.
    The loop spans a length L along x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?