1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic fields do no work.

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    This isn't a homework problem, but I figured I'd post it here since it's a pretty basic question, in my view at least.

So my professor and Senor Griffiths have been telling me this for the past year. Cool. Now I'm working on a project that uses a superconducting magnet.

So I started to think, and here's my question:

If I have a superconducting magnet, i.e. a solenoid that has I guess you call it persistant current running through it at 0 Ohms, it will (or should) have it's magnetic field for almost infinity.

Now if I introduce a wrench into the system, the B-field will attract it and bring it closer. As this happens, will the B-field lose strength because it is transferring energy to both the wrench and magnet itself as kinetic energy?

If I do this very slowly so that when they touch, very minimal heat is released (so I guess the B-field is low), what would happen if I pulled them apart again? I'm guessing the magnet would not inscrease in strength once more. Am I thinking correctly?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted