1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields, Find Angle

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Due to friction with the air, an airplane has acquired a net charge of 1.70 multiplied by 10-5 C. The plane moves with a speed of 2.80 multiplied by 102 m/s at an angle θ with respect to the earth's magnetic field, the magnitude of which is 5.00 multiplied by 10-5 T. The magnetic force on the airplane has a magnitude of 2.30 multiplied by 10-7 N. Find the angle θ. (There are two possible angles.)
    ________(smaller angle)
    ________(larger angle)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got Sin(angle)=F/QoVB, and arrived at sing(angle)=.966, which gave me the smaller angle 75.1, how do you get the larger angle?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi kdrobey,

I don't think you'll be able to get it with your calculator; you'll have to think about the behavior of the sine function.

For example, the sine of 150 degrees is (1/2). But if you find the inverse sine of (1/2), the calculation won't return 150 degrees.

Does that help? What do you get for your larger angle in this problem?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?