Magnetic Force on Moving Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, a parallel plate capacitor with a speed of 31 m/s is moving through a 4.0 T magnetic field with an electric field of 170 N/C and each plate has an area of 7.5 multiplied by 10 x 10^-4 m^2. The magnetic force exerted on the positive plate of the capacitor can be calculated by finding the charge on the positive plate using the electric field and plate area, and then using the equation F = Bqvsin(theta). The charge on the positive plate can be determined by applying Gauss's Law and adding the field from both plates, resulting in a value of \sigma/\epsilon_0. After correcting a mistake in the equations, the correct value for
jason.maran

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a parallel plate capacitor that is moving with a speed of 31 m/s through a 4.0 T magnetic field. The velocity v is perpendicular to the magnetic field. The electric field within the capacitor has a value of 170 N/C and each plate has an area of 7.5 multiplied by 10 x 10^-4 m^2. What is the magnetic force (magnitude and direction) exerted on the positive plate of the capacitor?

21_80.gif

Homework Equations

F = Bqvsin(theta) --- sin() isn't important in this case because it's perpendicular

Then there's also E = F/q and C = KEoA/d, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I've established that I'm going to need to find the charge somehow from the electric field and the area of the plates, since all the other info for F = Bvq is given. I'm at a loss to figure out how to get the charge though... thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Attachments

• 21_80.gif
    21_80.gif
    1 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
You're completely correct. As it turns out, if you draw a Guassian cylinder or cube that extends halfway into one of the (conducting) capacitor plates and apply Gauss's Law, you'll find that the electric field from one plate is always [tex]\sigma/2\epsilon_0[/tex], where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the charge density of the plate (charge over area). If you add to this value the field from the other plate, you'll find that inside a parallel plate capacitor, the electric field always has a value of [tex]\sigma/\epsilon_0[/tex]. So given your value for the electric field and the areas of the plates, you can now calculate the charge on the positive plate.

Thanks for your help, swuster. I'm still having a bit of trouble though.

I've done the following now:

E = (q/A)/2Eo
170 = (q/7.5e-4)/(2 * 8.85e-12)
q = 2.25e-12 C

Then I substitute in and solve for F:
F = qvB = (2.25e-12)(31)(4) = 2.79e-10 N, which is wrong, unfortunately.

I feel like I missed a step when following your instructions, and I didn't quite follow this bit:
If you add to this value the field from the other plate, you'll find that inside a parallel plate capacitor, the electric field always has a value of LaTeX Code: \\sigma/\\epsilon_0 .
Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it greatly! :)

jason.maran said:
E = (q/A)/2Eo

Should be:

E = (q/A)/Eo

^_^

Ah, OK, thanks a bunch! Worked like a charm after that!

Yep - between the capacitor plates, the electric field adds!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is produced by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents.

2. What is the difference between a magnetic field and a magnetic force?

A magnetic field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a magnetic object would experience if placed in that field. The magnetic force, on the other hand, is the actual force exerted on a magnetic object when it is placed in a magnetic field.

3. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. This can occur naturally, such as in the Earth's core, or can be artificially created using electric currents or electromagnets.

4. Can magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials, such as iron or steel. These materials are known as ferromagnetic materials and can redirect the magnetic field lines, reducing the strength of the field in the shielded area.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields and forces?

Magnetic fields and forces are used in a variety of applications, including in motors and generators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in compasses for navigation and in speakers and headphones for sound reproduction.