1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields & Forces

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The drawing shows a parallel plate capacitor that is moving with a speed of 31 m/s through a 4.0 T magnetic field. The velocity v is perpendicular to the magnetic field. The electric field within the capacitor has a value of 170 N/C and each plate has an area of 7.5 multiplied by 10 x 10^-4 m^2. What is the magnetic force (magnitude and direction) exerted on the positive plate of the capacitor?

21_80.gif

2. Relevant equations
    F = Bqvsin(theta) --- sin() isn't important in this case because it's perpendicular

Then there's also E = F/q and C = KEoA/d, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it in this case.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I've established that I'm going to need to find the charge somehow from the electric field and the area of the plates, since all the other info for F = Bvq is given. I'm at a loss to figure out how to get the charge though... thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2
    You're completely correct. As it turns out, if you draw a Guassian cylinder or cube that extends halfway into one of the (conducting) capacitor plates and apply Gauss's Law, you'll find that the electric field from one plate is always [tex]\sigma/2\epsilon_0[/tex], where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the charge density of the plate (charge over area). If you add to this value the field from the other plate, you'll find that inside a parallel plate capacitor, the electric field always has a value of [tex]\sigma/\epsilon_0[/tex]. So given your value for the electric field and the areas of the plates, you can now calculate the charge on the positive plate.

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your help, swuster. I'm still having a bit of trouble though.

I've done the following now:

E = (q/A)/2Eo
    170 = (q/7.5e-4)/(2 * 8.85e-12)
    q = 2.25e-12 C

Then I substitute in and solve for F:
    F = qvB = (2.25e-12)(31)(4) = 2.79e-10 N, which is wrong, unfortunately.

I feel like I missed a step when following your instructions, and I didn't quite follow this bit:
    Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it greatly! :)

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4
    Should be:

E = (q/A)/Eo

^_^

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5
    Ah, OK, thanks a bunch! Worked like a charm after that!

7. Feb 25, 2009 #6
    Yep - between the capacitor plates, the electric field adds!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook