1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields from Currents in a Wire and a Cylindrical Shell

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius a = 5.3 cm and outer radius b = 7.9 cm has its axis aligned with the z-axis as shown. It carries a uniformly distributed current I2 = 7.1 A in the positive z-direction. An infinite conducting wire is located along the z-axis and carries a current I1 = 2.7 A in the negative z-direction.

What is [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{P}_{S}[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] . [itex]\vec{dL}[/itex], where the integral is taken on the straight line path from point S to point P as shown?

Link to the picture: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/diethaltao/h15_cylindersD.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not even sure how to approach this problem. At first I found the difference between the values of the magnetic field at P and at S, but this was wrong.
    Then I thought to use
    ∫[itex]\vec{B}[/itex] . [itex]\vec{dL}[/itex] = μoI
    but B is not constant over the interval [S,P] so I can't pull it out of the integral.

I was able to calculate the integral along the dotted path in the picture, which I basically did by realizing R to S was perpendicular to the field so it didn't count, and that P to R was 1/8 of a larger circle drawn around the diagram. But in this case, B was a constant distance from the centre.

Any input is appreciate. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi diethaltao! :smile:

how about doing it along a path 8 times as long, in a square? :wink:

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    Hi tiny-tim!

So, I would find r using the Pythagorean Theorem:
    r = [itex]\sqrt{((0.21)(0.6))^2+(0.21-(0.21)(0.6))^2}[/itex] = 0.151.
    So I would multiply the field (which I found at point P to be 4.19E-6) by the perimeter of the square?
    And the perimeter would be 8R...? Obviously I messed up somewhere.

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi diethaltao! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

why do you want to know the field?

try using the Ampere-Maxwell law :wink:

6. Mar 11, 2012 #5
    Hi tiny-tim!

Ampere-Maxwell's law says that [itex]\vec{B}[/itex].[itex]\vec{dL}[/itex] around a closed loop is proportional to the current enclosed in that loop, or
    [itex]\oint[/itex][itex]\vec{B}[/itex].[itex]\vec{dL}[/itex] = μo*Ienc.
    But I can't just plug in the values of μo and Ienc to solve for the integral. And if I choose a square to be my enclosed area, B wouldn't be the same along the side, correct? For example, the field at point S would be stronger than at point P.

7. Mar 11, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, but if eg you extend PS to a point T on the y axis,

then ∫ B.dl along PS will be the same as ∫ B.dl along ST, won't it? :wink:

8. Mar 11, 2012 #7
    Ok, I understand that.
    So now I have something like the picture attached, where R is the hypotenuse of a 0.21 by 0.21 triangle (not sure if I need that value, but I calculated it anyways.)
    The integral from P to S is the same as the integral of T to S.
    And therefore, the integral from P to T would be the same as it would be for the other three sides of the square.
    I tried integrating around the whole square and dividing it by 8, but that was incorrect.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/diethaltao/Untitled.png

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. Mar 12, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi diethaltao! :wink:

use the Ampere-Maxwell law

∫ B.dl = … ? :smile:

10. Mar 12, 2012 #9
    Oh, wow, I get it now.
    Can't believe I overlooked something so simple! Thanks so much! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook