Calculating Proton Displacement, Force & Current in a Magnetic Field

Please provide the full problem and any diagrams or equations necessary for understanding the context.
thisisfreaky
A proton resistor spring system in a magnetic field going out of the page has a mass of proton 1.67*10^-27 kg, a spring constant k=500 N/m and the resistor has r=5Ω. The magnetic field strength is 0.8T.
a) When released from rest, calculate the maximum displacement.
b) What is the net magnetic force acting on the system?
c) When the system is 75% of maximum displacement, calculate the velocity on each of these points.
d) What is the induced current in the spring?
e) How much time is required to produce the current?

I'm just lost on this problem and I'm not sure how to solve this problem. My teacher didn't explain the chapter too well so I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to provide a better explanation of the problem. Give us the whole problem and any diagrams that go with it.

AM

1. How do you calculate the displacement of a proton in a magnetic field?

The displacement of a proton in a magnetic field can be calculated by using the formula d = (v x B)/q, where d is the displacement, v is the velocity of the proton, B is the magnetic field strength, and q is the charge of the proton.

2. What is the force acting on a proton in a magnetic field?

The force acting on a proton in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the proton, v is the velocity of the proton, and B is the magnetic field strength. This force is known as the Lorentz force.

3. How do you calculate the current produced by a moving proton in a magnetic field?

The current produced by a moving proton in a magnetic field can be calculated by using the formula I = qv/d, where I is the current, q is the charge of the proton, v is the velocity of the proton, and d is the distance traveled by the proton in the magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of the displacement of a proton in a magnetic field?

The direction of the displacement of a proton in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity of the proton and the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule, where if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the proton's velocity and your fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction of the displacement will be in the direction of your palm.

5. Does the displacement of a proton in a magnetic field depend on its charge?

Yes, the displacement of a proton in a magnetic field is directly proportional to its charge. This means that a proton with a higher charge will experience a greater displacement in the same magnetic field compared to a proton with a lower charge.