1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic fields & induced current.

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    would increasing the speed at which magnet passes through a coil Increase,Reduce or does not change the ammount of electromagnetic induction?

personally I would go with increase but wanna see if im right
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well... what do you base your answer on?
  4. Sep 19, 2005 #3

I had it all wrong :redface:

I though the question was like a DC generator.

I know what it mean and the only effect it would have is the emf value, not the current.

Thanx for askin what I base my answer on, it made me re-read the question on the past exams and now I understand. Maybe I shouldn't do homework at 2:20 :rofl:
  5. Sep 20, 2005 #4
    the answer is Increase but why? if it moves faster it will have greater emf which is Voltage how does it increase the ammount of ElectroMagnetic Induction? isn't ammount of ElectroMagnetic induction Current?

can someone clarify this please.

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5
    Well, what does the emf value mean? You already mentioned it's voltage.
    Now suppose the wire/the coil has a constant resistance (which is a pretty good approximation if you're not running gigantic currents through it): What will happen? You do know Ohm's Law, right?

Here's the answer in white, in case you won't find it out:
    You should be easily able to see (using V=R*I) that a higher voltage also leads to a higher current!

7. Sep 20, 2005 #6
    Thanks mate.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?