Magnetic Fields interaction with other magnets

In summary, the arrangement of magnets can have a significant effect on their magnetic fields. Placing magnets in a row will result in the interaction of their fields, and adding more rows or different sized magnets can further complicate the magnetic field arrangement. Experimenting with different configurations can help deepen one's understanding of magnetic fields.
barendfaber
Hi,

I am self taught, and am very interested in learning more about magnetic fields. I have found this site with some great examples of magnetic fields (http://www.coolmagnetman.com/gallery/imageset.html). One of the examples (picture attached), shows a group of five magnets. One is placed a bit away, and then there is four magnets in a row spaced closely together.

My questions are:

1. By placing the four magnets together in a row, how will this arrangement effect the magnetic fields of each of the four magnets (especially the ones in the middle), or will there be no effect apart from the fact that the magnets will attract each other from either pole? Will this change over time?

2. What will happen if I add another row of magnets above and one below (all magnets will be the same size)? What will happen to the magnets that are on the inside? Please note the arrangement of the magnetic fields.

3. This question might be redundant based on the answer above, but what will happen if I place a row a five magnets (lets say size 100%), then next to it another row of five magnets but a bit smaller (lets say size 95%), and then add a final row of five magnets (lets say size 90%)? How will the bigger magnets effect the smaller magnets' fields, how will this effect the fields of the magnets in the centre, and the smallest magnets? Please note the arrangement of the magnetic fields.

Attachments

• Magnetic Fields.gif
    Magnetic Fields.gif
    10 KB · Views: 505
  • Magnet arrangement.jpg
    Magnet arrangement.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in magnetic fields. I can offer some insight into your questions and help you better understand the effects of different arrangements of magnets on their magnetic fields.

1. When four magnets are placed in a row, their magnetic fields will interact with each other. The magnets will attract each other from either pole, but the magnetic fields of the middle magnets will also be affected by the fields of the magnets on either side. This can result in a stronger or weaker magnetic field depending on the orientation of the magnets. Over time, the arrangement may change as the magnets move or shift.

2. Adding another row of magnets above and below the first row will further affect the magnetic fields of the magnets in the middle. The arrangement of the magnetic fields will become more complex, and the strength of the fields may also change. It is difficult to predict exactly what will happen without knowing the exact orientation and strength of the magnets, but the interaction between the magnetic fields will definitely be more pronounced.

3. Adding different sized magnets in a row will also have an effect on the magnetic fields. The larger magnets will have a stronger field and may overpower the fields of the smaller magnets. This can result in a change in the arrangement and strength of the fields, similar to what would happen with the addition of another row of magnets. The smaller magnets may also experience a distortion in their fields due to the influence of the larger magnets.

Overall, the arrangement of magnets can have a significant impact on their magnetic fields. I would recommend experimenting with different configurations and observing the changes in the magnetic fields. This will help you gain a better understanding of how magnets interact with each other and how their fields can be manipulated. I hope this helps answer your questions and encourages you to continue learning about magnetic fields. Good luck with your studies!

1. How do magnetic fields interact with other magnets?

Magnetic fields interact with other magnets through a force known as magnetism. This force causes magnets to attract or repel each other depending on the orientation of their poles.

2. What happens when two magnets with opposite poles are brought close together?

When two magnets with opposite poles are brought close together, they will attract each other and stick together. This is because the opposite poles create a strong magnetic field that pulls the magnets towards each other.

3. Can magnetic fields pass through non-magnetic materials?

Yes, magnetic fields can pass through non-magnetic materials such as air, water, and plastic. However, some materials like iron and nickel can block or redirect magnetic fields.

4. What is the difference between a ferromagnetic and a non-ferromagnetic material?

A ferromagnetic material is a material that can be magnetized and has a strong response to magnetic fields. Examples of ferromagnetic materials include iron, cobalt, and nickel. On the other hand, non-ferromagnetic materials are materials that are not affected by magnetic fields, such as wood, plastic, and copper.

5. How can I increase the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be increased by adding more magnets, increasing the current in an electromagnet, or using a material with a stronger magnetic field, such as neodymium. Additionally, placing magnets closer together can also increase the strength of the magnetic field between them.