How Does a Flywheel Power a 40 T Magnetic Field?

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of a magnetic facility in a research lab to produce intense, pulsed magnetic fields. The energy required for this process is supplied by a rotating flywheel, and the conversation delves into calculating the amount of energy stored in the B-field and estimating the reduction in angular velocity of the flywheel needed to produce the required B-field.
Nylex
Can anyone help me with this?

"A research lab has a magnetic facility, which can produce intense, pulsed magnetic fields. In 1 experiment, a B-field of 40 T is to be produced over a cylindrical volume, 40 cm in length and 20 cm in diameter.

The energy required to pulse the magnet is supplied by a flywheel, constructed from a set of circular plates, 5 m in diameter and with a total mass of 10^5 kg, rotating at 500 RPM."

Calculate how much energy is stored in the B-field

For this, I used magnetic energy density, u = U/V = (B^2)/2μ0, where U = energy stored, V = volume in field.

U = 8 MJ

Estimate the reduction in angular velocity of the flywheel needed in order to supply energy necessary to produce the required B-field. Assume conversion from rotational energy to magnetic energy is 100% efficient.

Here I'm stuck. If the conversion is 100% efficient, why can't I use KE(rot) = U, with KE(rot) = (1/2)Iω^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nylex said:
Here I'm stuck. If the conversion is 100% efficient, why can't I use KE(rot) = U, with KE(rot) = (1/2)Iω^2?

It's asking for the change in the angular speed - the wheel doesn't necessarily stop:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} I \omega_0^2= \frac{1}{2} I \omega_f^2 + E_{magnet}[/tex]

To answer your question, you cannot simply equate the kinetic energy of the flywheel to the energy stored in the magnetic field because the two systems have different forms of energy. The kinetic energy of the flywheel is in the form of rotational energy, while the energy stored in the magnetic field is in the form of electromagnetic energy. Therefore, you cannot directly compare the two energies.

To estimate the reduction in angular velocity of the flywheel, you will need to consider the conservation of energy. The initial energy of the flywheel, which is in the form of rotational energy, will be converted into electromagnetic energy to produce the magnetic field. This conversion will result in a decrease in the flywheel's rotational energy and therefore a decrease in its angular velocity.

To calculate the reduction in angular velocity, you can use the equation:

Δω = (ΔE)/(Iω)

Where ΔE is the change in energy, I is the moment of inertia of the flywheel, and ω is the initial angular velocity.

Using the given values, you can calculate the initial energy of the flywheel:

E = (1/2)Iω^2 = (1/2)(10^5 kg)(500 RPM)^2 = 1.04 x 10^9 J

Then, using the energy stored in the magnetic field calculated earlier (8 MJ = 8 x 10^6 J), you can calculate the change in energy:

ΔE = 1.04 x 10^9 J - 8 x 10^6 J = 1.032 x 10^9 J

Finally, plug in the values into the equation to calculate the reduction in angular velocity:

Δω = (1.032 x 10^9 J)/[(10^5 kg)(500 RPM)] = 20.64 RPM

Therefore, the flywheel's angular velocity will need to decrease by 20.64 RPM in order to supply the necessary energy to produce the required magnetic field.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that is produced by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents. It is characterized by lines of force that point from the north pole to the south pole of a magnet.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, such as the electrons in atoms. In magnets, the electrons are aligned in the same direction, creating a strong magnetic field. In electric currents, the moving electrons also create a magnetic field around the wire.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

Magnetic fields and electric fields are both types of force fields, but they have different properties. Electric fields are created by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. Additionally, electric fields exert forces on other electric charges, while magnetic fields exert forces on other moving electric charges.

4. How can magnetic fields be measured?

Magnetic fields can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a magnetized needle or a digital sensor to detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The unit of measurement for magnetic fields is the tesla (T).

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include magnetic compasses used for navigation, magnetic levitation trains, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines used in hospitals. They are also used in generators, motors, and speakers.