1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields question?`

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    Where did the formula r=mv/Bq come from in my answerbook for my grade 12 physics? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you know the equation for uniform circular motion, given a force F that always points toward the center of the circular motion?

Do you know the equation for the force F on a charged particle q when it is travelling at velocity v perpendicular to a magnetic field B?

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    F=qvBsin(theta) is the equation right? and, I probably have seen the first one, but can't remember that specific one.

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4

berkeman

Correct, but what does it simplify to when the velocity and B-field are orthogonal (at right angles to each other)?

See Uniform Circular Motion at wikipedia, and remember that F=ma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_circular_motion

6. Jul 18, 2011 #5
    Ohh okay I got it. Because the force of the magnetic field equals the net force (F=ma) so that means that qvb=ma and then since v=rw and a=vw it's qrwB=mvw, and then the w's cancel out and you rearrange. Thanks alot :biggrin:

7. Jul 18, 2011 #6

berkeman

Good job! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook