1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields with Relativistic Motion of Electron

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a magnetic field given by the equation [itex]\overrightarrow{B}=B_{0} \hat{x} \sin\left(2\pi z/L\right)[/itex].

If there is a [itex] 10^7 eV [/itex] electron going in the [itex] \hat{z} [/itex] direction (moving at a relativistic velocity), a mag. field strength of 0.1T, and a mag. period of 0.01m, what are the field values?

2. Relevant equations

Eq. 1 [itex] E_{k}=\gamma m c^2 [/itex]

Eq. 2 [itex] \gamma = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} [/itex]

The equations on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electromagnetism_and_special_relativity

3. The attempt at a solution

By using Eq. 1, I can find [itex] \gamma [/itex] from the mass of the electron and given energy. This gets me [itex] \gamma = 19.57 [/itex]. If I don't consider [itex] \gamma [/itex] my results would be highly inaccurate, as this electron is traveling at relativistic speeds.

I can then find the velocity of the electron using Eq. 2 now that I know [itex] \gamma [/itex]. This gets me [itex] v = 2.99\times 10^8 m/s [/itex].

The magnetic field can then be found using the provided mag. field equation. I know that [itex] B_{0} = 0.1T [/itex]. I believe [itex] L= 0.01m [/itex]. However, how do I find out what [itex] z [/itex] is? This is something I do not understand.

The value of the magnetic field taking into account the relativistic speed, [itex] \overrightarrow{B}' [/itex], can be found (maybe? I'm basing this off the Wiki) by [itex] \overrightarrow{B}'=\gamma \overrightarrow{B} [/itex] now that I know [itex] \overrightarrow{B} [/itex] from before.

The value of the electric field produced from the relativistic speed of the electron can be found from [itex] \overrightarrow{E}'=\gamma v \overrightarrow{B_{x}} \hat{y} [/itex]. I'm basing this, once more, off of the Wiki page.

I'm not sure if my equations are correct, but my main issue here is how to find what [itex] z [/itex] is. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not looking for the answer - just a suggestion of where to go.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted