Magnetic Field: Find the Right Magnet for a Foot Away

In summary, a hook magnet with a 130lb pull force only attracts objects 2 inches away, while a larger magnet would have a larger field and be able to pull from further away.
linux kid
I'm engaged in a project that requires a magnet that can attract from at least a foot away. I mistakenly thought that a larger pull force would also mean a larger field and wasted $15 on a hook magnet with 130lbs pull force but only attracts from abut 2 inches away.

So what kind of magnet would fit my need? Is it the dimension that determines the size of the field?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As with electric charge, you will find that the field of an infinite current sheet is uniform and independent of the distance a point is from the sheet.
Check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_sheet
Of course you cannot hope to make an infinitely big sheet but a larger sheet will result in a larger range.

Thanks for the reply LHarriger but that is way ahead of my current level. That seems like collage stuff and I'm only in 11th grade.

Your hook magnet confines the fields to a small annulus between the magnet disk at center and the steel cup it's mounted in. This field drops quickly if your metal object isn't right up against the assembly. Why is it done that way? By confining the field to a tiny volume, its strength (hence pull force) goes way up.

To pull from a distance you need a magnet with "open" geometry, that is the fields extend away from the body. The most open geometry is a bar magnet (technically it's called a dipole), so look for the combination of biggest and strongest bar magnet. Beware that the pull force 1 foot away will be tiny.

Last edited:
What are those tubular magnets called that when you put a metal rod inside it will shoot the rod out. I heard they are used in car locks.

What are your desired specs, and what are you trying to accomplish?

marcusl said:
What are your desired specs, and what are you trying to accomplish?

I need a magnet the will pull from at least 9" away or a solenoid that will shoot something outwards, but WITHOUT an electromagnet. It's for a personal project.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is created by moving electric charges. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How can I find the right magnet for a foot away?

To find the right magnet for a foot away, you will need to consider the strength of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and the object, and the type of material the object is made of. Stronger magnets will have a stronger magnetic field, allowing them to attract objects from a greater distance.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the magnet, the strength of the magnet, and the material the object is made of. Additionally, the orientation and shape of the magnet can also affect its magnetic field strength.

Can a magnetic field be blocked or shielded?

Yes, a magnetic field can be blocked or shielded by certain materials, such as iron or steel. These materials are able to redirect the magnetic field lines, preventing them from reaching objects on the other side.

Are there any health risks associated with magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are generally considered safe for humans, as they are naturally occurring and present in our environment. However, extremely strong magnetic fields, such as those found in MRI machines, can have adverse effects on individuals with certain medical conditions or metal implants. It is always best to consult with a medical professional if you have concerns about exposure to magnetic fields.