1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields

1. Mar 19, 2007 #1
    A proton travels with a speed of 3.00 x 10^6 m/s at an angle of 44.0° with the direction of a magnetic field of 0.730 T in the +y direction.

(a) What are the magnitude of the magnetic force on the proton?
    (b) What is its acceleration?

Ok for magnitude of force,

I used F = qvB sinø
    = (1.6E-19)(3E6)(.73)sin44
    = 2.437 E-13

But I was unable to find an equation for aceleration in a magnetic field in my notes, can anyone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2007 #2
    What does the path of the motion look like?
  4. Mar 19, 2007 #3
    lol i have no idea,
    but could this be solved just by using Fnet = ma
    where Fnet incorporates the magentic force and gravitational force?
  5. Mar 19, 2007 #4
    I doubt you need to include gravitational effects here.
    The path of the motion is a hint as to how to find the solution. Any guesses?
  6. Mar 19, 2007 #5
    well i kno initially its moving at the angle of 44˚, but the magnetic field should affect it to move in the positive y direction i think
  7. Mar 19, 2007 #6
    Oh, you need to revisit the right hand rule to determine the direction of the force. This is an important effect for these types of problems.
  8. Mar 19, 2007 #7
    but wouldnt using the RHR in this case introduce the 3rd dimension, because it would be coming out ?
  9. Mar 19, 2007 #8
  10. Mar 19, 2007 #9
    yes, from the cross product.
  11. Mar 19, 2007 #10
    so if we know it is coming out, how does it help solve for acceleration?
  12. Mar 19, 2007 #11
    So at that point the force is out, does it remain in that direction?
  13. Mar 19, 2007 #12
    i assume so
  14. Mar 19, 2007 #13
    If the object has a net force acting on it, it will accelerate in that direction. So the velocity changes; remember that the direction of the force is dependent on the direction of the velocity vector, which changes.
  15. Mar 19, 2007 #14
    so is there a way/formula to solve for acceleration by knowing this?
  16. Mar 19, 2007 #15
    Sorry, if you are looking for me to give you a formula to plug numbers into, I cant help you.
    If you understand the motion in your mind's eye, you will recognize the solution (hopefully).
  17. Mar 19, 2007 #16
    fyi, i was right,
    the equation has to do with fnet = ma
    where fnet incorporates magnetic force

so next time if u dont kno wut ur talking about plz dont answer a question for sum1... instead of saying ok wut u said might make sense u overcomplicate everything
  18. Mar 19, 2007 #17
    My apologies, I was for some reason thinking we were looking for the radius of motion.
    My bad :smile:
    In my opinion, I do not think that the questions I prompted were useless. I still think you should try to understand the motion of the charged object through the B field. :rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?