1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields

1. Apr 2, 2007 #1
    A long straight wire lies on a horizontal table and carries a current of 2.00 µA. In a vacuum, a proton moves parallel to the wire (opposite the current) with a constant speed of 1.90E4 m/s at a distance d above the wire. Determine the value of d. You may ignore the magnetic field due to the Earth.

ok so we have
    0.000002 A
    19000 m/s proton with mass and charge

the only problem i have is trying to understand what is going on in the problem and what needs to be balanced... once i understand what needs to be equated the physics behind it becomes more apparent.... can anyone give me a brief explanation of what needs to be understood to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2007 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

The current in the wire creates a magnetic field around the wire as predicted by Ampère's law. There are two forces acting on the proton: Lorentz force (a charged particle in an electromagnetic field) and gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?