1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    1. Magnetic field inside a long solenoid with cross-sectional area A is given by B=(mu)nI where n is the number of turns per unit length and I is the current. Suppose that the current is given by I(t) = I(0)e^(a*t) where t is the time and a and I(0) are constants. What is the magnetic flux through the solenoid as a function of t? Hence find the induced emf outside the solenoid as a function of time

2. Relevant equations
    Magnetic flux is the integral of B.dA
    Faraday's Law: Emf = rate of change of magnetic flux through loop

Not quite sure how to start. Could someone please help!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a long solenoid, what is the direction of the B-field inside the solenoid? And is B a function of the position inside? What does this make [itex]\int B\cdot dA~=~[/itex] ?
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Inside the solenoid the magnetic field B will be horizontal. But we know from the equation B=mu*n*I that it doesn't depend on the radius of the solenoid.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?