1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two current carrying wires cross at right angles (like a + sign).

Wire 1 has current directed horizontally to the left. Wire 2 has current directed vertically up.

If the wires are not restrained, what statement best describes the motion of the wires?

A) Wire 1 moves out of the page; Wire 2 moves into the page
    B) Wire 1 rotates clockwise; Wire 2 rotates counterclockwise
    C) Wire 1 rotates counterclockwise; Wire 2 rotates clockwise
    D) Wire 1 moves up; Wire 2 moves to the left
    E) Wire 1 moves down; Wire 2 moves to the right

3. The attempt at a solution

The wires will rotate until the magnetic fields are in the same direction. Therefore I think Wire 1 will move up and Wire 2 moves to the left.

Have I visualized it correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi 05holtel! :smile:

I think you're misunderstanding the terminology …

if wire 1 moves up and wire 2 moves to the left, then they're moving parallel to themselves, and the field directions won't change.

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3
    Oh Yeah,oops

Rotating Wire 1 clockwise and Wire 2 counterclockwise would make the magnetic fields go in the same direction. Correct?

5. Mar 14, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

come on … you're just guessing aren't you? :wink:

Rotating Wire 2 clockwise and Wire 1 counterclockwise would also make the magnetic fields go in the same direction, wouldn't it?

So which one is correct, and why? :smile:

6. Mar 15, 2010 #5
    I am really confused still,

I know I have to draw first the magnetic field that Wire 1 makes at the points shown on Wire 2. Use those magnetic fields and the current of Wire 2 to find the forces on Wire 2. Repeat the same procedure for the magnetic field that Wire 2 makes at the points shown on Wire 1. Use this now to find the forces on Wire 2.

I am not getting any of the suggested solutions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook