1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Fields

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1
    1. The magnetic field at point P due to a magnetic source S1 is represented by ==>. Can a bar magnet S2 be brought close to P so that the total magnetic field at P due to S1 and S2 is zero? Explain your answer.

2. None

3. Yes, this is possible if both fields at point P have the same magnitude but a different direction. When two bar magnets are held vis-à-vis to each other (one’s north pole facing the other’s south pole) repulsion occurs between them. In the exact centre between those two poles of the two bar magnets a singular point exists where the magnetic field force equals 0.
    Am I on the right track?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2015 #2
    Probably. But this assumes that the second source is sufficiently strong to cancel out the first one with a field equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

4. Nov 4, 2015 #3
    The second source is just another bar magnet, why would they differ?

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4
    Think like a scientist. If the statement of the question does not say they are identical, then why assume that they are?

6. Nov 4, 2015 #5
    I have just changed my answer. Does it look better now?

Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted