Neodymium Magnets - WonderMagnets Store

In summary, these magnets are very powerful and can be dangerous if not handled correctly. They are best suited for adults or those who are physically able to handle them.
On Radioactive Waves
http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=3138 [Broken]

I'm thinking of getting some, I just purchased some neodymium magnets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2545710646 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damn! I'm not sure why,
but I want one

Me too! But I'm going to have to learn how to handle these badboys with something much smaller before I'd trust myself with that thing. I mean, that thing cound probably transform your hand into a crepe

Wow!

Didn't know they were available in that size. That's positively dangerous. Two of those 4 inch babys quite literally could cost you a finger, or at least rip some skin off your hand. This is not an overstatement!
If you get a pair of 4 inchers - keep them far away from each other. If you don't - wear gloves, wear eyeglasses, and expect to break your magnets.

I'd say its an understatement. It says you need two people just to handle one of those... and I don't think there's too many people who could handle two magnets at once that are capable of lifting your car.

whats everyone talking about

what exactly are these things and why are they so dangerous

im very curious

Originally posted by bleh
what exactly are these things and why are they so dangerous

im very curious

Neodymium-Iron-Boron magnets are dangerous because they're so powerful. They're the most powerful permanent magnets known. So if you come close to any ferromagnetic material with them it will attract it at a high velocity which can injure you.

Those magnets are pretty cool. How strong do you suppose the small 1/2x3/8" (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3138837757 [Broken]) magnets are. I won't loose a finger playing with these, will I?

I bought 8 2'x2'x3/8' for $99. 2 coming together could definately make you bleed. I don't think they'd crush your finger, but if allowed to come together from a far enough distance I'm sure they could come pretty close. I'm definately going to be extra careful with these things until I become more comfortable with their power.

Originally posted by HBar
Those magnets are pretty cool. How strong do you suppose the small 1/2x3/8" (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3138837757 [Broken]) magnets are. I won't loose a finger playing with these, will I?

oops, I read that 1x2x3/8. 2 could pinch you good; using half as one magnet with the other half could probably make you bleed. Although, 2 could probably make you bleed if they shattered in your hand. I don't know though, even those are bigger than anything I've played with yet. A good rule of thumb is to assume they could.

The smaller ones can pinch your skin (off)
Those four inch puppies can pinch a lotta skin (off)
Under the right conditions you can find yourself in a boatload of pain. If you plan on putting a couple of 4 inch monsters close together using your hands to do it. My suggestion would be to save yer money...go out to the garage ...grab a hammer, and pound yer finger with it for the same effect.

The biggest danger would be your eyes. The velocity of the two magnet coming togeter is great enough to shatter them by which peices go flying. They break like glass or ceramic.

the film right

we are all talking about the magnetic film right? is this stuff really dangerous? because I've had neodymium magnets before ( i took them out of an old hardrive) and they were really strong but they wouldn't hurt you that badly, perhaps just a pinch.

My question was about the film, which no one has addressed yet. We were talking about what was in the second link.

1. What are neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets are a type of permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron, and boron. They are known for their incredible strength and are commonly used in a variety of industrial, commercial, and consumer applications.

2. How strong are neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnet available, with a magnetic field strength that is significantly stronger than other types of magnets. They can produce a magnetic field that is over 10 times stronger than that of a traditional ferrite magnet.

3. What are the benefits of using neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets have a variety of benefits, including their incredible strength, small size, and lightweight nature. They are also resistant to demagnetization and have a high resistance to corrosion, making them a popular choice for a wide range of applications.

4. How are neodymium magnets made?

Neodymium magnets are made by melting together neodymium, iron, and boron in a furnace and then allowing the molten metal to cool and solidify into a crystalline structure. The magnets are then cut and shaped into their desired sizes and coated with a protective layer to prevent corrosion.

5. What are some common uses for neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, loudspeakers, magnetic separators, and magnetic therapy products. They are also commonly used in consumer products such as headphones, hard drives, and magnetic toys.