1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux and emf help?

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    The Earth’s magnetic field at a certain location in the UK has a magnitude of 48 μT and is directed at 66° below the horizontal.

a)Determine the magnitude of the flux of the Earth’s magnetic field through a
    wedding ring of diameter 2.2 cm when the ring is held in a horizontal plane.

b)What is the magnitude of the flux change when the ring is flipped through 180° about a horizontal axis?

c)Use Faraday’s law to calculate the EMF induced in the ring when it is flipped
    through 180° in 0.2 s, assuming the flux changes uniformly during this time.

can any one help me please i am completly stuck and dont know where to start :(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    You would actually probably be better off posting this in introductory physics, but that's okay, let me give you a hand anyway.

a) Remember that the equation for flux is [tex]\int \int \mathbf{B}\cdot d\mathbf{a}=\int \int B cos(\phi) da[/tex]

b) You should have an intuitive guess about this, but go ahead and work it out.

c) Remember that EMF is [tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt}[/tex]

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Hi ghostbuster remember the B dot A cross product rule that helped me and the angle is below thw horizontal so work out the angle you need

5. Apr 1, 2010 #4
    Not all that astonishingly, I have the same homework as ghostbuster. it's getting pretty late now though, but here are my tenuous attempts at the three questions:

a)

Magnetic flux = B dot A; this is the dot product of the B vector and the area vector, A

B = 48 x10^-6 T at 34 degrees from the normal vector to the the area

The A vector has magnitude = the area, and is directed perpendicular to the surface.
    Mag A = (2.2 x 10^-2 m)^2

Therefore
    flux = (48 x 10^-6 T) (Pi) [(2.2 x 10^-2 m)^2] (cos 34)
    = 2.75 x 10^-6 T m ^2

(b)

The A vector changes direction

Δ flux = B A cos (156) – BA cos (34)
    = ( -0.9135 - 0.8290) x 10^-8
    = 1.7425 x 10^-8 T m2

[c]

Using Faraday's law

EMF = -N
    dt

= -1 -1.7425 x 10-8 T m2
    0.2 s

= 8.7125 x 10^-8 V

I had some help from a guy, who's reasoning I can't quite follow now he's gone. Part (a) makes most sense to me, but am rather lost with b and c. any help, or hints would be very gratefully recieved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook