1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Flux and Peak Emf

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    A coil is located at the center of a long solenoid of radius R = 15cm which has 5x10^7 turns per meter and carries a current I = 16A. The coil is coaxial with the solenoid and consists of 5 turns of wire each in the shape of a square of length a = 5cm on each side.What is the magnetic flux passing through each loop of the coil? If the current in the solenoid is not constan but varies as I=Im cos wt, where Im = 16A and w = 10rad/sec, find the peak emf induced in the coil.

I would like to offer relevant equations but I don't think I have any. I have tried the equations I thought were relevant without coming up with the correct equation

flux = NiA -> 16*.05*5=4 but the correct answer is 2.5. I haven't even got a clue about peak emf...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Magnetic field B at the center of a long solenoid is mu_0*n*I, where mu_0 = 4*pi*10^-7. And flux = B*A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?