Does the Curl Relationship Exist in Both Directions for Vector Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between magnetic potential and the magnetic vector potential in electrodynamics. The participants question whether the curl relationship exists in both directions for vector fields, citing a website as a reference. However, upon further clarification, it is determined that this is not the case and the answer is no.
hisotaso
Physics news on Phys.org
hisotaso said:
We are studying electrodynamics, more specifically magnetic potential. We are given

B=∇xA

I saw on a certain website here http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jstiles/220/handouts/The Magnetic Vector Potential.pdf that

A=∇xB

So is it true in general that for a vector field, the curl relationship exists in both directions as shown above?

Where does it say A=∇xB?

This is wrong.

Looks like I read it wrong. My mistake. Back to my question: the answer is no?

Yep. The answer in no.

Thank you.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is typically denoted by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Weber (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) perpendicular to the magnetic field. The formula for magnetic flux is Φ = B x A.

3. What is the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic potential?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area, while magnetic potential is a measure of the energy required to move a unit magnetic pole from one point to another. Magnetic potential is analogous to electric potential.

4. What factors can affect magnetic flux?

The factors that can affect magnetic flux include the strength of the magnetic field, the area through which the field passes, and the angle at which the field passes through the area. Additionally, the presence of magnetic materials, such as iron, can also affect magnetic flux.

5. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic potential?

Magnetic potential is typically measured in units of Joules per Tesla (J/T) or Newton-meters per Ampere (Nm/A).